Okay, so I got excited about the paralegal interview, thought this was it, thought something would actually pan out. So I was wrong.
The interview went perfectly - flawless. The job would be great, I would be engaged every day and learn a lot. It pays a heckofalot more than the Hill.
Only one, small, tinsy winsy little thing.
About 3/4 of the way through the interview, the sweet gal interviewing me starts talking about her own liberal views - which is fine, because she's treated me like a human being through all this, so at least she's a manageable person, not a Deanite "Rs are evil" or anything. But then she starts talking about how when she was looking for a job, she was offered one at National Right to Work, but decided she couldn't take it for ideological reasons. She segues this into "we are nationally known as an employment law firm, and everyone knows what we stand for. We are the reason for punitive damage caps imposed by various states... and if you came to work for us, you could probably never go back to conservative politics."
Gulp/hack/cough.
'And I said: "DEATH TO COMMIE PINKOS!" Jumped up from my chair, whapped her over the head with my purse, stood on the desk, raised my arm in the Robert Byrd Good-ol' boys Salute to Nathan B. Forrest... and spat on her cat.'
Actually, that was just Pete's interpretation of what I did. He was a little off. (Sorry, dude.)
What actually happened was I sat through the rest of the interview with a genuine smile, but a genuine hesitancy when she asked if I was still interested. I have the weekend to think about it, but I can't see how I could do it. I had the honor of one of my friends telling me this afternoon that I was the person most true to themselves that they knew, and that's why I couldn't take this. I agree. How can I make a living off of something I'm ideologically opposed to? I'd rather work at Starbucks forever and be able to sleep at night.
So, I've been eating chocolate chips and soy nuts while editing transcripts this afternoon. *sigh* I just wanted something to go right, and this just bombed. Big time. So close that it makes it even worse that it's not going to work.
It's the problem with having principles, I guess. But it's also the reward of having principles.
I don't want to change the world. Someone much greater than I already did that. I just want to follow Him and somehow leave the world a better place because I was here. And I know that's not all contingent on what job I have, but right now, I feel like a bump on a log and not much else... and it's getting old.
And I should just stop whining and realize I have a great life, because I do. Something is going to work out and I will choose to be happy. It's just hard to see right now.
And then this has the audacity to come on the radio.
When I am down and oh, my soul, so weary
When troubles come and my heart burdened be
Then I am still, and wait here in the silence
Until You come and sit a while with me...
You raise me up so I can stand on mountains,
You lift me up to walk on stormy seas;
I am strong when I am on Your shoulders
You raise me up to more than I can be.
No comments:
Post a Comment