Based on the fact that I couldn’t find anything I could convince my roommates to go do on a Saturday night (I still have a hard time believing D.C. is this inaccessible for three early-twenty-something girls, but I agree, the cover charges at the jazz clubs were a little too much and there wasn’t much else to find), here I am, working on my blog with an update from yesterday’s events, an observation on a movie I watched last night, and a Beethoven collection playing all the while.
Yesterday was disappointing, but I apologize for having such a negative attitude on the entire subject. God and the people He has placed in my life continue to remind me I live a very blessed (and perhaps charmed) life, and as the old hymn goes, “I’ve no cause for worry or for fear.” I happen to be in 1 Peter in my quiet time, and today was chapter 4: “Beloved, do not think it strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as if some strange thing happened to you, but rejoice to the extent that you partake of Christ’s suffering, that when His glory is revealed, you may be glad with exceeding joy… blessed are you, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you… if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in this matter… therefore, let those who suffer according to the will of God commit their souls to Him in doing good, as to a faithful Creator.”
So much I could get into, but a couple major points that impacted me: rejoice in suffering (which is supposed to be a duh! for me at this stage in the game, but still)… I am blessed because the Spirit of glory and of God rests on me (really? I don’t nearly act like it enough)… and submit to God as a loving Abba, a faithful Creator, not as the oppressive “man upstairs” who just wants to see me squirm. I still believe in His faithfulness and goodness and mercy and grace and truth, and that He has a very specific will and plan for my life. It’s just a matter of me shutting up and holding still long enough to realize it.
And I do have so much to be thankful for. I filled a whole eight and a half by eleven page of my journal last night with the blessings God has placed in my life, from the friends I’ve had for decades to my health, from godly parents that love me to a fun townhouse to live in, that all my physical needs are provided for and God paints gorgeous and unique sunrises every morning and sunsets every evening. I’d go on, but you get the picture: I need to stop complaining.
We watched Wag the Dog last night. I recommend it for politically-inclined people where a curse-box is available. It’s very well-done, and Dustin Hoffman, as usual, delivers a great performance. I definitely identified with his character the most, which made the ending most disconcerting. The only role I want in politics is that of the behind-the-scenes worker, but really, who deep down doesn’t want someone (preferably the President) to step out and say, “I would just like this moment to say what an excellent job my speechwriters have done, how they have tirelessly worked thankless hours to give a voice to important policies and give me more time to govern the nation…” But the fact is, it never happens. If you do your job right as a campaign manager, as a speechwriter, as a… almost anything political, save the actual candidate or Member or President or whatever, your name is never mentioned in anything but political circles. You have to learn to be okay with that, or else… well, you’d have to watch it to understand.
I think the thesis of the movie is that Americans (in general, but at least in the 1990s) want to vote for anything but character or values. The premise is that the fictional (and unnamed) President has been caught in a sex scandal, so a covert team of his staff, and a Hollywood producer, seek to literally make up a war to distract the public for the last eleven days of the campaign – and it works.
One of the thrusts of the movie is the idea that candidates are like products which must be marketed a certain way to the public. I agree. Marketing is, by nature defined by the consumer – the American voting-age population. The marketers will seek to fashion their product into whatever the consumer wants to hear; instead of trying to restore faith in the man’s character or set things right, the tactic is distraction. It’s the very 90s mentality of no one’s better than anyone else, who am I to judge, even if this is the leader of the nation. So overwhelmingly, the (fictional) American public re-elects this guy by a ridiculous 89 percent, preferring a war to morality, continuity (even of filth) to change. I think the movie makes a fairly large statement about the American people. Yes, it’s about the Presidency. Yes, it’s about political marketing. But what are both of those things defined by? (Do I sound like a debater yet?) The reason that the Presidency changes and marketing is fluid is by the will of the masses – or lack of will, as the case may be. We will get what we demand, and we will certainly not get what we don’t demand. This movie has an extremely pessimistic view of the rationale of the American people.
In that way, I think the 2004 election both affirmed and negated the thesis of Wag the Dog. The victory of
Just random thoughts about a political classic, mostly for the sake of Allis, who charged me to write this out (so I would get off her proverbial back), thoughts which I toy around with as I wonder where exactly I go from here…
And in the meantime, develop strategies on how to enjoy a Christ-honoring nightlife in the capitol of the free world.
"For myself, I am an optimist. It does not seem to be of much use to be anything else." ~ Sir Churchill
Saturday, March 05, 2005
For the record, I can't believe I'm blogging on a Saturday night.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment