Some random thoughts before I take off for the Good Friday service. First off, why do they say Virginia is for lovers? I saw that bumper sticker today, not for the first time obviously, but this time is made me think. Why? Because this afternoon (since we got a half-day at work, huzzah!) I walked down to the Jefferson Memorial to relish what part of its serenity is left, as the tourists have already begun and when the cherry blossoms open in a couple weeks, it'll be all over till October. But there were still quite a few people out, in spite of the cool, rainy weather. But I swear, it was all couples and young families. Even the animals were paired up: as I arrived at the Memorial, a beautiful set of mallard ducks was perched on one of the landings and surveyed me as if asking for food. The male with his hunter-green head and his mate with her ordinary feathers, save the purple-blue stripe on her wings, just sitting there, enjoying life and the clumsiness of tourists. And it just made me wonder why Virginia is for lovers as opposed to places people actually go for their honeymoon. Just a thought :-P
It has also come to my attention that a certain individual has written a story about me... or at least the main character is a facsimile of me, and it's dedicated to me. Now after years of writing other people I am getting a taste of my own medicine, and now I admit I am scared. This will probably only deter me for a few months before starting another story, though.
Also, notably, have you ever been in one of those moods where you just have to eat something that's bad for you? I've tried ice cream and cold mac and cheese, but nothing's worked yet. Guess it's time to resort to chocolate...
Thankful for the half day today, but I am still exhausted from the couple miles of walking I did. And I'm missing my roommates, who are both with their families for the weekend... *distant sigh* I'll get to go home someday.
On the docket for this weekend: looks like the dreaded DMV trip is coming tomorrow (and surrender my CA license.... *bawls*), return something to Target, and possibly visit Home Depot and the independent nursery down the street to see what sort of plants they have. I'm anxious to get somethin' going on our twelve-by-twelve slab of concete. Thank God for spring! The trees in front of my window have long, slender, green bulbs that will soon be leaves. This is very exciting to me. I never thought I'd be someone whose mood was affected by the seasons, but I was wrong. I'm definitely in better spirits than I've been in a while... especially if I get some sleep tonight!
No comments:
Post a Comment