Thursday, March 03, 2005

Excel and its implications

You know you worked the 2004 campaign when... Excel feels like home. I'm starting to look at cars - you know, to buy one, on my very own - and I was already getting confused after just one day of internet searching. My solution? Create a spreadsheet. So just in case national calls, I can say, "Yes! I have a spreadsheet for that!"
In other news, had a job interview today. It went well but I didn't particularly like the chief of staff, and when I inquired further about the Congressman's stance on abortion she said he was pro-life but wouldn't vote to overturn Roe v. Wade. (Ike! Too bad that's more a state's rights issue!) So I didn't like that, and yeah yeah, I know I won't be able to find someone ideologically similar to me until PHCers start running, really, but still. It was disheartening. And the girl leaving the position, probably only three years my senior, looked really, really tired and like she was ready to leave (which she is, hence the opening). Not good signs.
On the other hand, I am thinking of abandoning the policy job hunt altogether and going with a paralegal position in Reston. Yes, it's not policy. Yes, it's not in D.C. But yes, it's practical if I ever decide to move anywhere else other than D.C. After working on the Hill, what do you "go back home" to do, anyway? One of three things:

#1... run for office. Not in my personality; I'm a kingmaker type. Give me the strings to pull, but don't put them on me.
#2... go to the state legislature. No one does this for a good reason.
#3... run a county party organization. See #2, plus I question the sanity of anyone that does that in the first place, so...

That leaves me with little option except to explore other options, especially seeing as that the speed at which this administration seems to want to take care of its people is comparable to that of molasses on... well... the sidewalk today. Gotta love that wind chill...

Am I disappointed in a sense that maybe the policy pipe dream didn't work out? Maybe, but increasingly less so as I think of it. I've lived a charmed life and maybe it's time I'm not different for once. (There's a concept.) And it's not like I can never go back to policy... there will always be another campaign. And hey, maybe next time I can come back as an election law expert... (does that sound like reincarnation?).
Anyway, I'm feeling a sense of closure coming on. Not just because it's late and I'm going to finish out this entry, but of this phase. Maybe I can get some stability and actually enjoy it. I have a feeling I'll find out soon.

Oh, and if anyone cares: today is my 14th re-birthday. Go God.

No comments: