This graduation weekend brought out something in my mind that has been there for a long time, but never quite materialized. We always talk about contentment - be happy no matter the circumstance and all. But do we ever realize just how good we have it here and now?
I find that some of the most precious moments in my life are just that, moments, and I don't realize how wonderful they are until they become memories. What would happen if I had eyes to recognize what was going on and stand amazed in joy even as it happens?
It's more and more in the little things, really. An afternoon with my parents in my living room, just relaxing and joking after a big meal. It's laughing hysterically with your best friends when you've been up too late. Walking across a stage resolved to leave something behind and feeling the weight lifted once you get to the other side. It's the amazing feeling of getting a call from someone you thought you'd never hear from again...
And I just have to harp on that for a moment because it's so darn cool. On the night of graduation, I was getting ready for bed when my cell phone rang. I was surprised at the call considering the time, and I saw it was a San Diego number, and I thought, well, must be a wrong number... but then I realized I recognized the number, a number I've known since I was 11, but one that has never called this phone.
It was my friend Jason.
I had never dreamed he'd call. The last time we talked, in November, I felt we were drifting apart. He didn't even like politics and that seemed to be my life. He was all
But the phone call made me so glad that conventional wisdom is wrong. God uses the foolish things of the world and the things that are not to shame the wise, the things that are. It was so refreshing to me to realize not just that somebody cares, but that he still knows the Leeann deep inside me that still has the same insecurities and fears she had in 6th grade. He knows that certain things, though simple, cut me to a quick because of their connection with old scars. And though he doesn't have to, though we only see each other twice a year at most... he still cares. That means so much. And to have him call was just such a blessing. I was exhausted, but we talked for an hour and a half. It was so encouraging, even if he thinks I have it a lot more together than I do... *small smile* I find my friends often believe in me far more than I deserve. Or maybe they just see the Glory reflected in this glass dimly...
Anyway, before I get all sappy, had to relate some other great moments of the weekend. There was IHOP on Thursday night... the very dramatic Capitol tour (thanks again, Chris!)... and our VERY FIRST sit-down guest dinner at our townhouse and the inauguration of the BBQ (thanks, Daddy)... finding out the restaurant I wanted to go to for dinner at Harper's Ferry was closed forever... and my Mom's underestimation of her throwing skills, resulting in her throwing my Grandma's bracelet over three stories of the hotel and onto the roof. That is seriously one of those things that would NEVER happen to ANYONE except my Mom or me... classic...
There were moments of high stress. But most of the time I was able to be calm enough to relish it. To all who made this such a special weekend... and you know who you are... thank you.
And most of all to my Abba, who carried me through each day at PHC, each day before, and each day beyond... I can't say I did it all right. But I do know You as the God who redeems the time, and I pray you will consecrate even my mistakes and turn them into something beautiful for You.
"For myself, I am an optimist. It does not seem to be of much use to be anything else." ~ Sir Churchill
Tuesday, May 17, 2005
Recognizing joy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Thanks for the reminder, Treasure... I needed that today. It's hard being in a relationship and realizing that each moment of the relationship is not going to be wonderful-hunkey-dorey. *wry grin* But I need to remember to cherish the special moments, instead of hanging on to an ideal we can't be all the time.
Thanks again for sharing!
Well, you gotta keep us single people around for something... KIDDING, I am KIDDING!
Post a Comment