Monday, May 02, 2005

Remind me again: who are you and what are you feeding me?

Ah yes, there’s nothing like the screaming feeling of your stomach telling you, “wrong combination to eat, there, buddy…” What could I do? We were all but out of food here, so I had to scrounge what we had in the office all day. It started with one of the LAs, recently returned from a *highly educational* conference in New Orleans, who brought “pralines” back with him. Now, where I come from, that’s a nut, but in the south it’s apparently a caramel-like patty filled with praline pieces. And it’s well over 100 percent sugar. I didn’t realize it till about three-quarters of the way through, but it’s sort of like eating a liquefied, hardened sugar cube. A big one. So that woke me up, to say the least….

Next came one of the sesame seed bagels that someone had brought back from something. I’d not had a bagel in a while, especially with cream cheese, so that was the closest thing there was to lunch.

And then came the urge to take part in the consumption of the recently delivered batch of chicken jerky from Vitter’s office, which we traded with them for Cokes. The teriyaki variety is very good. The “buffalo” style brings to mind what it would be like if you had to chew on meaty peppercorns, which is not good. So I stuck with the teriyaki. It was protein, and it was free, and it was very good.

At the end of the day, I was dragging. At the intern’s prompting, I had a Coke. I promptly remembered that I am not a soda-drinking person anymore. Drinking it sort of felt like pouring some sort of corrosive into my system.

Suffice to say my stomach is crying out in agony for mistreatment at the moment. I’ve spoiled it by joining Allis and Sarah in their ridiculously meticulous (yeah, say THAT ten times fast!) eating habits. Must resign myself to the fact that, yes, Leeann, you’re not in college anymore, so eat like a normal human being. Grr. It’s been too long since I’ve been on a campaign. :-P

Speaking of that, as I was reading through Congressional Weekly on the way home tonight, I had the hardest time focusing on the policy articles instead of the political articles – the Rove and campaign finance stuff. They say you’re either a policy person or a campaign person. I love policy, but I can get obsessed with politics. As usual, I am a mixed up pup.

One parting thought on something altogether different. Someone please explain this to me, because apparently I’m too stupid to understand the logic.

An article in today’s San Diego Union-Tribune details the efforts of a Los Angeles Democrat who wants to outlaw the cloning of pets. Can someone please clarify: is this the same California that voted in November to spend $3 billion for stem cell research?? So let’s get this right. Cloning an animal is not okay because it might produce the cat equivalent of killer bees. (For those non-cat lovers who are saying, what would be the difference, well… forget you :-P) But creating new human beings for almost instantaneous destruction, perfectly fine, and while we’re at it, let’s spent billions of dollars we don’t have to finance it. Only in California is the sanctity of the cat held above the sanctity of human life… unless it’s a modern day Egypt

This random rant has been brought to you by the letter M, for Monday, the only day of the week that could produce a blog entry like this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yet again, your writing puts the biggest smile on my face.

You mean eating habits are still a problem outside of school? ("I just don't like food anymore.")

Rats.