Friday, May 20, 2005

It was AMAZING.

In part the second of the recent series on movies... this won't be nearly as long as I'd like, but I just got back from seeing "Revenge of the Sith."
It was amazing.
I mean, yes, of course, it's a Star Wars movie. Ergo, the love story was bad. Some of the sci-fi was cheesy. But I completely agree with the critics that put it at or above the level of even the great predecessors ("Empire Strikes Back"). The fighting sequences were awesome. The human element was improved leaps and bounds almost in spite of itself. And yes, it's dark. Very, very, very dark. Because that is the point.
It's so frightening, though, when you think of the premise here, because the fallen hero falls only because he was trying to do the right thing. Ultimately, his love was hijacked by a lust for power that he could not control... and so it often goes.
So it was for the Jedi order, too. As that particular storyline unfolded, I thought of "Christian conservatism," as it is called, and the letters I've gotten lately at work about the "Christian right" taking over the Republican Party and Congress and government and everything else. And why does that perception exist? Because like the Emperor eventually accuses the Jedi, their power was too great for their own good, and their comfort in their position caused their demise, downfall, and exile. It was sobering.
I had a dream several weeks ago about seeing this movie. (And before you’re convinced I’m absolutely obsessed, it had more to do with life than Star Wars, so don’t panic.) And the scene I dreamt of was indeed there, not verbatim, but close enough to be heart wrenching. “You were my brother…”
Anyway, I have to finish packing for the Leichliter wedding now… *wry grin* the first in a series of very busy weekends… please pray for my traverses, if you would be so kind...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You got it. Praying.
-Sam

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention the FF preview...

Leeann said...

Yeah, and apparantly everyone else has seen a Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe trailer, but both times I've seen "Sith" I've not seen it! Most dissappointing. FF looks like your kind of movie :-P