Alright, nothing against my friends who are getting married in the near future, but I’m starting to see a strong bias that is so enshrined in our society that I don’t know how if this is going to be so earth-shattering that is will be conceived as ridiculous. But here’s the premise: someone gets married, so let’s shower them with presents. Now that’s all very well and good. Getting married is a special time and we do need to shower those folks with love, support, and physical amenities. However, my observation is that single people are just as in need of toasters as any given married person is. Toasters and blenders and shower rods and shower curtains and trash cans and sheets and the whole nine yards. The problem is that singles are somehow expected to come up with all this on their own. And single people, by definition, are surviving on one income. Married people (especially when first starting out, two income) can SHARE telephones and comforters (am I allowed to say that on my blog?!) and lamps. Now, single people, when joining together in tandem, such as my roommates and myself, can share the above mentioned things. But the principle still stands: why is it that when you get married, you get free stuff. Now before Christy and Kelly et. al. start throwing things at me, yes, I KNOW that weddings are expensive. But there’s transition costs when you’re single, too! Making that first rent payment before your paycheck comes is just as awkward when you’re single as it is when you’re married!
Okay, taking step back. I’m NOT complaining in the sense of I don’t have enough money to pay my bills. Because I do. I am insanely and richly blessed. But it’s just funny because… okay, fine, I admit it, this is going to sound wholly stupid, but there’s this concert going on at the end of the month. t’s the Fairfax Symphony Orchestra and Choral Society performing the Lord of the Rings symphony. And if the website and commercials are any indication, it is going to be downright awesome. It’s just one of those things where you go and do it once, because it’s just that awesome. Sort of like when a bunch of my friends and I splurged to see Phantom of the Opera when I was sixteen. The music of the Lord of the Rings is just really special to me, and to be able to go see that would just be unbelievable. But the cheapest tickets are like $40. Too much for this single girl because I had to buy a blender and a bed and wedding presents for people… :-P
But I still really wanna go…. I’d get to wear that new black dress I bought “just because”… even though I’ve no idea when I will ever get the chance to wear it.
So let me explain my line of thinking a little more of my logic here: I can’t afford to go to this concert because of martial discrimination. There should be a law.
And I sound like one of my constituents. Eep.
I’m okay, really. And more thoughts on Braveheart are likely forthcoming. Plus… graduation this weekend… to be elated or to fear greatly? As long as I survive the trip to PHC without killing anyone AND with a diploma in my hands… I will be okay. I think. By God’s grace.
In the meantime, Sarah and Allis and I are going to try to win free tickets from Classical 103.5. If we enter every day, we may have a prayer at one of the weekly drawings... *wry grin*
5 comments:
WELL SAID! Many thanks to those among the human population who have mercy on the low income starving students who can't afford their occupation.
(engaged people: you know I love you :-D :-P)
I would so love to go to that concert with you, Lee....*sigh* But like I said, even if I could afford it, I won't be here :-(
But I love you, and you're right; you did make me smile :-)
Well Lee if you wouldn't have bought the dress you would have money for the concert. *smirks as she ducks* That said, I agree with Lee...why not have a singles shower or new renters shower or something. And what would be on my registry?? Books. *smile*
HA!!!! The WONDERFUL Erin Isbell-soon-to-be-unpronouncable-Leichliter said, upon the reading of my blog, and I quote: "Yeah, I was thinking how unfair it is that we get all this stuff when we get engaged! It's nuts!"
So this MIGHT make sense after all, mwahahaha.....
Hey, Leeannza, if I gave you the money, could you get the ticket for you? :)
-Sam
Here, here. Well said darlin'.
Post a Comment