:-D
Sarah and I just got back from the Fairfax Symphony and Choral Society’s rendition of the Lord of the Rings Symphony. *grinning* It’s always fun to dress up and go someplace, especially when it’s to go listen to live music you know you’ll enjoy.
This presentation involved over 200 musicians, which is always pretty spectacular, in and of itself. They were definitely best at some of the darker passages; especially for the excerpts from Fellowship, their shining moments were the Weathertop scene, the bridge of Khazad-Dum, and the Lament for Gandalf. (The chorus was very good.) I was a little disappointed with the handling of the Shire theme, but I’ll always have the soundtrack for that. ;)
The second half was, overall, much stronger. The very rich themes of the Battle of Helm’s Deep and Gondor lent themselves to greatness. One of the highlights was the female vocalist, all of 16, with the most gorgeous voice! As a show of her strong ability, she was charged with Gollum’s Song (which I never liked until I heard her rendition), the Evenstar themes, and Into the West, representing a cross-section of the distinct female vocal styles in the soundtrack, but she was able to pull them all off with her own flair. She was just spectacular.
I was carried away by the music, as always. The closing songs still get to me. Make me think about going Home. Makes me wish the battle was more visible sometimes, that the fight was clearer. I just pray I have the eyes to see it, to keep remembering, and remember that the victory will be even more glorious than can be imagined.
Anyway, it was really cool. This remains one of my favorite suites of music. My eternal thanks to Allis for winning the tickets. Enjoy your lunch at McCormick & Schmick's.
What a fun weekend this has been/is/will be. It’s nice to have a break!
Home is behind, the world ahead,
And there are many paths to tread
Through shadow, to the edge of night;
Until the stars are all alight,
Mist and shadow, cloud and shade,
All shall fade, all shall fade…
No comments:
Post a Comment