Saturday, May 28, 2005

Wondering

I don’t know if any of you remember when Gabe Ballard sent out this ASE about a million years ago… it was an MP3 of the following song, and time has only increased its potency for me. It’s called “Prayer of the Broken.”

I was wandering around our local park today, looking for Allis. This park is so exquisite, and the weather today being as gorgeous as it was, the whole scene was just intoxicating. The wild roses are in bloom, and you can sense their subtle sweetness as clearly as the verdant foliage and crisp blue sky. It couldn’t be more perfect this side of eternity.

Yet more than ever, I am aware of the temporary nature of this nature, how this beauty fades and is but a shadow of what is to come. I went to see Star Wars again with Cassidy last night (which was oodles of fun, for those of you who don’t know, Cassidy was the one who originally “corrupted” me with the original Star Wars series about a decade ago, when we were both 11). Seeing it the second time was even better than the first. It emphasized so much in my mind of the power of evil, and reminded me of what each of us is capable of. Just as we are foolish to underestimate the supreme power of Christ, we are misled when we are ignorant of the pervasive nature of evil. And the scary thing is how it masquerades as good so much of the time, just enough to lull us into acceptance, until we sometimes become the very thing we swore to fight.

So how does that tie into “Prayer of the Broken” and my afternoon in the garden? I guess I am pondering how much we should let the reality of evil color our perspective of life. I love being in that park, but even there, fallen-ness can be sensed. How to truly enjoy this life while not being ignorant of all we have lost, and all we have to gain through Christ? “Lord, you have my heart, and I will search for Yours; Jesus take my life, and lead me on…”

Twenty years of running, moving faster than the wind
And all this time my dreams have died before they yet began
Though I stand here all alone, my world is crumbling down
My spirit growing faint within me, where is meaning found?

Lord, hear my prayer and cry for mercy
My hope has all but faded into sand;
I spread out my hands to you
My soul is aching for you
Thirsting like a parched land

So let the morning bring me word of Your unfailing love for me
For I have put my hope in you, I’m down upon my knees,
Show me the Way and show my spirit where to go,
Rescue me, Sweet Jesus, for to You I lift my soul

And though the earth gives way and the mountains crumble down
And the waters roar, and the emptiness surrounds
Well I look to my Father, as He takes me by the hand,
Saying “Child, be still and know Who I Am.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One night, someone came over and reminded me of someone who weirded me out with their reality. (which was not real at all.) and the person who reminded me of them was always real before that. I went outside and ran, and finally dropped down and asked God what was real. (cuz that's all I want, you know; I hate facades and stuff that only looks nice covering over bad scary stuff.) And He told me Him. He's the one thing that never gets all messed up by that stuff. I decided I didn't want to forget that. So I guess that's all I know about how to know pain and evil and still be okay; just know God's more real than all of that stuff and never forget He's bigger. Cuz we are all just messed up. And maybe there's more to it, but that's all I know.
-Sam