Saturday, May 07, 2005

Braveheart, Part I

I saw Braveheart tonight for the first time. I know, I know, behind the curve and all that, especially being an Eldredge fan (yeeish, now I feel like I have to go and re-read all the books) but at least I am caught up now…

I’m a little hesitant even to blog about it so early. If you’ve ever watched any remotely meaningful movie with me, you know I have a tendency to be affected by them. And this was no exception. This is a powerful story, and the fact that it’s true makes it even more dramatic… and frightening.

I guess as I was taking in the story, I was wondering where all the Wallaces have gone. Before y’all interpret that as a “where have all the suitable men gone,” I mean it as applicable to men and women. That sort of boldness and dedication is virtually undetectable. Maybe we don’t have an earthly tyrannical empire to fight against, but Heaven help us if we don’t realize there are souls that need to be liberated just as much as any people have ever needed freedom from earthly bondage. To be so single-minded and passionate for the right thing…

And then I realized, the reason we don’t have many Wallaces is because we do the very thing to them that happens in the movie. We taunt them, we tell them they’re dreamers, out of touch with reality, that compromise is the only way to get people to see the light. As if showing them Jesus by match light is sufficient to reveal His glory, when He illuminates the skies with sunset or sunrise to show it every day. We betray them (how frightened I was to identify with Robert the Bruce as he surveyed the killing fields and recognized that he was the one responsible for the carnage!), even unto death, and their lives are sucked out of them, slowly, torturously. Some do renounce, some do beg for mercy. But others don’t. They hold fast till they fall into the Everlasting Arms.

So my question tonight is, what is it to be a Wallace today? Is it to lead some sort of evident revolution, or is it enough for Joe Guy to get through his life while always doing the right thing along the way? Something in between? The gist of it is, what does obedience look like?

And if I’m honest, I’m scared of even asking what obedience is, because with that knowledge comes the responsibility of living it out. With that comes the consequences of not being of this world, and of the sacrifice of… more than is even imaginable. While we may admire the movies where all’s well and the guy gets the girl and rides off into the sunset, etc., I don’t think I admire them nearly as much as those who lose it all for the sake of their calling. Hebrews calls them “strangers and pilgrims on earth,” because they “died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off were assured of them… now they desire a better, that is, a heavenly country. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them.” (Hebrews 11:13-16)

Now, if you believe in Jesus Christ and His gospel, no promise ever can or ever will beat that. To be in the city God has prepared is to be in His presence and enjoy Him forever, which is our originally intended purpose.

So why is it that every person who claims the name of Christ, myself included, doesn’t cast off the cares of this world and accept the promises of Eternity instead of the trifles of this age? Why can’t I admit before God that I’m scared out of my mind and trust Him to give me the strength equal to the tasks He brings?

Aye, perhaps I am too eager to ask for something about which I know nothing. To have that sort of single-mindedness and purpose is born of great longsuffering. But I do know I want to be obedient, and pray that nothing is going to take my eyes off that irreplaceable prize, laid out just over the horizon…

3 comments:

Derby said...

Wallace

my hero.

Leeann said...

*eyes cross* Oh man... that doesn't even merit a response. Go to your room. :-P

Anonymous said...

*grabs a brick*

ahem.

methinks the lady may understand a bit more of the cry "one chance" now, eh?

Was good seeing you yesterday . . .