Okay... horrifically sore, but at least my brain is working, I can see straight and I'm not exhausted, so I am going to finally get these thoughts that have been stewing in my head down... There's something funny that happens over time with girls when they've been single together for a long time. Maybe this is something common among biological sisters as well, but being an only child, I don't know. But there becomes a sort of protectiveness, an interest in preserving the way things are (unless only the top-quality of person should come along). In a way, yes, it's selfish, but in a different way than I might have expected. It's not "wow, he likes her and I wish I could be liked like that." It's more like, "wait a minute, if she becomes a part of a couple, we'll have less in common, we'll grow apart, and I don't want to lose her!"
For example: I was recently in a situation where I thought one of my best friends was getting relentlessly hit on, and it was making me upset. Not that he's anything less than a nice guy or that this friend of mine doesn't deserve someone, but my thought process was something along the lines of, "I know he's got a snowball's chance, but what if..." Especially since I've said so many "snowball's chance"s and there are quite a few of them getting married this year. And despite what everyone says, if the past has been any indication, it's usually not like gaining a brother. So while I was fine on the outside, given the opportunity, I probably would have beat this guy up. Admittedly, it is selfish. And like the quote in my last entry says, all women want to be swept off their feet, and me not wanting to see that happen simply because it would change *my* comfort zone is wrong. But the Sisterhood exists without a doubt, for those of us perennially single. And now that I am coming to the other side where I'm more content with that status, I wish everyone else could have that same peace, too, but must accept that God has different places for different people at different times (gasp). In the meantime, just consider this another entry in the "Leeann's running commentary on life" section.
"For myself, I am an optimist. It does not seem to be of much use to be anything else." ~ Sir Churchill
Monday, February 28, 2005
Sisterhood of Singleness (for real)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm in. And I'm happy. Do I get a gold membership card yet?
Not till you pay your dues (read: lots of dark chocolate, payable to me ;))
Post a Comment