Tuesday, February 22, 2005

In honor of parents and dreams

Not much time to write today, hopefully more later. In the meantime, a commentary on a song that's been stuck in my head.

Country music has a way of expressing things in a way most mediums can't. I have been particularly impressed by the new group Sugarland's expression of leaving your heart at home with the following song. Disclaimer for my mom and dad: I am not *broke*, I am simply saying I relate to the sentiment of the song. And I thought I identified with it in Oregon... HA! This is as true in DC for people like me as in Hollywood for actresses or Nashville for singers...

They say in this town the stars stay up all night,
Well I don't know, can't see,
Through glow of the neon lights
Well its a long way from here
To the place where the home fires burn,
Two thousand miles and one left turn...

Dear Mom and Dad, please send money,
I'm so broke that it ain't funny,
Well I don't need much, just enough to get me through -
Please don't worry cause I'm alright,
See I'm playing here at the bar tonight,
In this town I'm going to make our dreams come true -
Well, I love you more than anything in the world,
Love, your baby girl...

Black top, blue sky, big town full of little white lies,
Everybody's your friend, you can never be sure;
They'll promise fancy cars and diamond rings and all sorts of shiny things,
Girl, you'll remember what your knees are for...

I know I am on my way,
I can tell every time I play,
I'll know that it's worth all the dues I paid
When I can write to you and say:

Dear Mom and Dad, I'll send money
I'm so rich that it ain't funny
Well it ought to be more than enough to get you through;
Please don't worry cause I'm alright
See I'm staying here at the Ritz tonight
What do you know, we made our dreams come true...
And there are fancy cars and diamond rings
But you know that they don't mean a thing
Cause they all add up to nothing compared to you -
And the memory of ribbons and curls,
I still love you more than anything in the world,
Love, your baby girl...

1 comment:

My Fathers' Daughter said...

I LOVE that song :-D