Thursday, February 24, 2005

Weird Weather

Washington, D.C. - A surprising amount of snow caused the closure of area schools Thursday, prompting cries of jubilation from students aged 5 to 25. However, the wet nature of the snow, which seems to make it stick on everything but sidewalks and roads, kept the commute reasonable this morning. The federal government remained open, though speculation has it that it may close early due to this late-February oddity.
San Diego, CA - The end of a massive rainy season is still not in sight, with rain totals as of Thursday flirting with 20 inches on the season, making it San Diego's
third rainiest season on record. This has, however, caused things in the desert to be unusually green and beautiful, prompting people in above mentioned district to visit this waterlogged land.
Dayton, TN - Still no snow, no
forecast of snow, no thoughts or premonitions or hints of snow. So everybody, calm down.
~~~~
Just had to let my journalistic side come out and play for a while.
Seriously, with apologies to all my friends from the north, the south, and most of the east... okay, basically everyone except Ashley, having 20 inches of rain in San Diego is downright weird. I hear it is ABSOLUTELY gorgeous, which makes me jealous... but at least I know it gives my dad job security, since there'll be a lot of lawn to mow this year.

On that note, too - if you click on the "unusually green and beautiful" link, it'll take you to this glorious shot of a rainbow in SD county. It was interesting, going through that photo gallery, because it had a little counter on how many hits each picture had. Each picture containing a rainbow had twice as many hits as any other. What is so fascinating about rainbows that we are almost universally drawn to them? Has anyone stopped to think that common denominator might be a Creator of such a glorious and radiant spectacle?
~~~~
I have to admit, it was tough this morning. Alarm goes off. I wake up, realize I've not been woken previously that morning to the sound of a bus. I think that can only mean one thing... so I turn the radio on, wait for closure announcements in the warmth of my bed, as they read off every school district around... and then the crushing blow: "the federal government remains open, but OPM is monitoring the weather situation..."
... as a bus came around the corner.
Oh well, it makes me get up and do something. I've sent some emails that were necessary and I'm going to call Labor here in a bit and finish these witness questions. But I'm looking forward to curling up with a cup of hot cocoa tonight... and going to Tennessee tomorrow!!

No comments: