Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Cliff's Notes of Recent Days

Wow, I have to recap not only today, but a whole weekend!
It should go without saying that I had an awesome time with Cassidy and her entire family down in SC, but there, I said it anyway. I will have some pictures up soon (*cough cough* hint, Cass *cough cough*) from our adventures. In short, we went to the waterfront, the Market in the French quarter, saw the Old Exchange building that used to be a prison for pirates and still has a part of the original (1680) sea wall from when Charleston was Charles Town, had southern barbeque and SWEET TEA, watched movies, took Phillip to Chuck E. Cheese (I can remember him before he could walk or talk and now he's 10! And talks BACK!), walked on the beach, saw Fort Moultrie, which was very very cool and brought out the very "Wow, I want to get my masters in Revolutionary War studies... and rewrite my book!" side of Leeann. And to boot, I was unbelievably relaxed. My shoulders were more relaxed then I ever remember them being, I didn't even think about being unemployed (except whenever I went to pay for things), the air was warm, the breeze was fresh... and the HOUSES! OH heavens, these gorgeous houses with 2-3 levels of porches with elaborate rod-iron gates, big windows, and rocking chairs and... *sigh* easy to tell why Cass' parents decided to retire there. The people were very nice, too. Some say it's just an act, but at least they try...
So a couple plane rides, plane cookies, and a little deepening of my "Southern accent" later, I arrived back in
Virginia in time to show Cassidy our home before putting her on the Metro and shipping off to ye olde theatre in Sterling for a group viewing of Hitch. Very cute show, almost shockingly clean, and very... very Will Smith. He's cool. All around, very well done. Definitely one of those to file away in the "to rent when you're feeling sappy someday" file. (File in a file? How exactly does one do that, Leeann?)
Anyway, then today happened. *wry grin* Oh yes, doesn't life keep getting more interesting... but I know the details are much more interesting to me than most of you, so I'll keep it simple for you lovers of Cliff's Notes out there: I had a job interview with Leadership Institute this morning, which went okay, but I wasn't too excited about the content of the job. The guy who interviewed me was very nice, and he took three years of Latin. (Just thought I'd share. First interview where we actually discussed declensions...)
After that, I hopped over to the Hill to help see Brandon, Marc and Nick out the door to
Germany. Managed to get in the way more than anything else, but at least they're on their way now. Things will be much more quiet around the office now... *wry grin*
Today's surprise was the interview at Department of Labor, which I didn't know I was going to have until right before my Leadership Institute interview. I headed down to the Senate side of the Hill to DoL headquarters, job haven for three (count 'em, three) former roommates of mine last summer. I came in and was introduced to the Deputy White House liaison there, and then to the head White House liaison. Both were delightful. I was introduced to a third person, the head of the scheduling department for the Secretary, of which I would be a part. We chatted for a bit and she asked me what I wanted to do with my life. After pondering for a moment what the correct answer is for someone who is interviewing for a scheduling position, I decided to just be honest and say I wanted to be a speechwriter.
Long story short, she wanted me to get in touch with their speechwriting department. It felt good that someone wanted to help me out that much after just getting to know me.
So... we'll see what happens. At this point, the job at DoL is a foot in the door to something else perhaps more policy-related down the line... and a paycheck... and it's nothing to be ashamed of. I mean, I'd be working in the office of a Cabinet secretary... that's nothing to shake a stick at.
Just pray for me, guys. I was wondering if just taking an appointment would be a cop out, but I don't feel like I have a lot to invest in a more difficult job right now. Plus I want to get a life, I want to get more involved with church, I have to finance the weddings I have to go to this year... so I am thinking, if this door opens and God gives me peace, I am ready to walk through it.
Oh, and as of today, all of my DRW hours are done... I am OFFICIALLY DONE WITH COLLEGE!!!
Pro libertate!

Speaking of... I am such the interstate traveler, I may even be going to Tennessee this weekend. *huge grin* More details to come.

1 comment:

My Fathers' Daughter said...

AAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! NO WAY! And NO FAIR! Me wants to come...pwease? :-P jk. . .sort of. Still praying for ya, babe. Peace is His and He gives it freely :-)