Of the literary geniuses who have captured my imagination, the one who has most passionately and regularly engaged, fascinated and intoxicated me is C.S. Lewis, as most of my readers are well aware from previous posts. While my love for his work began at the age of eight, I never got around to reading his acclaimed Space Trilogy. I decided to end my ignorance of the subject this weekend, and these are the thoughts that ensured.
As I started reading Out of the Silent Planet, I was overcome with the desire to discover its context and place in the timeline of literature. I immediately noticed several themes and phrases that Lewis had exquisitely stolen from himself – most notably the theme of what constitutes a “right” as well as the presence of holy light-beings (eldila), both notions that stuck in my mind from The Great Divorce. Knowing the long history of the friendship-competition between Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien, I was also intrigued by some strong connections between the Space storyline and that of Lord of the Rings. If you have read both series, I’m curious if anyone shares my observation of a strong similitude between Ransom and Frodo (stumbling into an adventure, confronting new peoples, languages, and worlds). The scenes and descriptions of Ransom riding on the shoulder of the sorn Augray brought to mind the hobbits and ents in Lord of the Rings. My findings on this front were surprising, as more often than not, the things I tend to really like end up being alleged rip-offs of others’ work. Not so here. Out of the Silent Planet was published in 1943. This endeavor clearly gave Lewis some of his ideas for The Great Divorce, released a mere two years later. Tolkien’s trilogy was released over a decade after the Space Trilogy, between 1954 and 1955.
I’m sure Tolkien regarded his magnum opus as a triumph over Lewis’ "mere children’s stories" (that much is clear in their correspondence), but in actually reading the Space Trilogy (and Narnia), the purposes of Lewis’ writing is so vastly different than Tolkien’s that it is really a detriment to both works to compare them. Lewis studied, wrote, and adored allegory and mythology; Tolkien disavowed the suggestion that his work was anything of the sort. In the Space Trilogy, Lewis displays worldviews and the philosophical underpinnings of life for the purpose of making people ask questions: “Why do I wish to acquire wealth? Will Earth and mankind go on forever? Is God called by another name still God?” I’m sure I’ll step on some toes here, but Tolkien’s fiction is in large part philosophy for philosophy’s sake. While those who think his work is in fact allegorical and referring ultimately to the industrial revolution *cough Allis cough cough* are entitled to their opinion, at the end of the day, Tolkien is grandstanding his considerable knowledge of history, mythology, and language, and that’s about it. Is Tolkien a master storyteller? Absolutely. Can some Lord of the Rings lessons and characters be instructive? Yes. However, the authors’ objectives are fundamentally different. Tolkien creates the world of Middle-earth largely to bask in his own creation and share it with others; why else would he go to such great lengths to create a half-dozen new languages, each with multiple dialects? Do you really think he created Middle-earth for general consumption? If you don’t believe me, try reading The Silmarillion.
On the other hand, Lewis seeks to draw out his readers to make meaningful decisions about their lives, and he writes to that end. Sure, he’s a linguist like Tolkien, and Out of the Silent Planet introduces us to the Malacandrian tongue that plays a significant part in the understanding between man and alien. However, it is hardly the centerpiece of the work: no, it is the workaday worldviews are what have the strongest function in Lewis’ plot and the deepest affect on the reader. Out of the Silent Planet brilliantly demonstrates the grotesque ramifications of avarice (Weston) and humanism (Divine) by setting up these relatively common worldviews in the context of another world. Here, the commonness of these principles prevents much meaningful discussion; they are nearly assumed. When justification for greed or self-importance must be given from the ground up, as Lewis does here, it becomes a whole new argument. (Outside of fiction, he best demonstrated this method in Mere Christianity). For all their “knowledge,” Weston and Divine are shown stupid and cruel when cast into stark relief by the brilliant simplicity of the Malacandrians. Fairly instructive for all of us, methinks.
A couple clean-up observations. From the time our main character was introduced, I knew the name Ransom would be unavoidably meaningful, in true Lewis fashion. While I am not sure exactly how much that will come into play in the next two novels, I think it an interesting concept. Even though we don’t hear Ransom’s account of salvific history (very disappointing, might I add), there is a sense in which he has “redeemed” Earth’s status by the very telling of the story. (I love the simple summary of praise – “You have shown me more wonders than are known in the whole of heaven.”) The presentation of Lucifer’s fall from an extra-human perspective was a fascinating one, especially as it related to the fall of man and the naming of Earth as “the silent planet.”
In all, a brilliant and charming read, not that anything less could be expected of Lewis. The fantastic science-fiction approach provides refreshing perspectives on theological topics most may consider overdone or mundane. While the notion of finding life on Mars seems even more fantastic in 2005 due to our improved awareness of the universe since 1943, our own sense of security in our knowledge make the lessons of Out of a Silent Planet even more relevant and meaningful.
9 comments:
Are you saying that Lewis' end of writing, that is, to ask questions, is more desirable then Tolkien's philosophising for philosophies sake?
That is a difficult question, the answer to which I’m sure will get me in trouble, regardless of what I say…
In a way, your inquiry sort of brings me back to one of my initial distinctions between Lewis and Tolkein. Because they are writing for two different purposes, it is a discredit to both to compare them on some levels. On its own merits, philosophy has its place as an art and a study, as does a more Socratic form that seeks to produce answers by asking questions.
However, you seem to be asking me to make a value or moral judgment between the two. I guess I think of it this way. One can take a class in philosophy or even religion and discuss and debate various worldviews, even Christianity, without a presentation of the gospel as something personal and meaningful to the student. God is a concept shoved under a microscope to be studied and expounded upon. Never mind the idea that it is, in fact, we who are under the microscope, and the God we thought fit nicely in a box will actually make us give an account for our treatment of him. Vain philosophy, in general, does not lead us to such conclusions. Drawing out the personal implications of philosophy is far more important in an eternal sense. Who would we say is more blessed: the agnostic scholar or the simpleton who knows Christ? In that sense, I would say Lewis’ means, and end, of writing are far more desirable.
I love C S Lewis's fiction, and his science fiction trilogy is fascinating, especially when read in contrast to Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials fantasy trilogy, which he wrote partly in reaction against Lewis. Rereading Perelandra recently I was struck by how directly it relates to Philip Pullman's ideas on the Fall. Pullman sees the Fall as something good, as the beginning of human development, and thinks that rebellion is necessary for moral maturity. I recently discussed some of Pullman's criticisms of Lewis over on my own blog, http://caleb-student-of-life.blogspot.com/
C S Lewis and Tolkien certainly had very different views on how to relate their faith and their writing, and I think both have their value. Tolkien wanted to create a world where Christian truth was woven into the very fabric of his (sub)creation in a subtle way, and viewed Lewis's approach as rather crude. Lewis is certainly more didactic, but he does sometimes stretch the limits of what fiction can achieve as a method of instruction without destroying itself as storytelling. The oft-cited rule of fiction is "show, don't tell" - Tolkien does very little "telling" of his beliefs, but he does show truth through his world and stories. Lewis is much clearer in presenting his ideas as well as demonstrating them in a fresh way in his stories, but arguably when he uses them as a vehicle for theological discussion he damages his stories as stories.
Caleb
I love, Love, LOVE, C.S. Lewis' Space trilogy!!! I just reread it this summer and was amazed at how much more I got out of it than when I had read it in highschool. My personal favorite is the last one (That Hideous Strength), but you really can't read it without first reading the other two.
If I may speak plainly...
I loved the LOTR, but in all honesty, Tolkien is not that good of a writer. In fact, he is barely on the good end of average. Lewis, however, demonstrates the best of what makes up good fiction. Deep, convincing, easily relatable, and a pure enjoyable writing style are all central to Lewis' works. I would take issue with Caleb, and say the inverse is more the case. The people that populate Lewis' worlds are believable and rarely symbolic. They are demonstrations of who ideas are lived, and ergo remind of others and ourselves. Tolkien's figures are more icon then relatable. Does anyone actually think they are like Strider, or Gandalf? No... Do people relate to Edmond, the "target" in Screwtape, or Dr. Ransom? Easily. Lewis achieved a fantasy that touched reality in a way very few others have; perhaps best captured in his quote "We need less book on Christianity, and more books by Christians on other things."
PS
That Hideous Strength is one of the best books ever written... just to give you something to look forward to.
Um, that was not to say I dislike Tolkin... The man had a great story. But honestly, I have read the Hobbit, LOTR, Simmerilian (however you spell it), Unfinished Tales, a book of his poems, and many many many of his short stories, and frankley, they all pretty much suck. The Hobbit is good, LOTR is moderately good, everything else is literary garbage. Outside of Bilbo Baggans The man COULD NOT write a believable person. He just couldn't... sorry. His Omniscient Narrator style is annoying and the sign of a writer who cannot focus. You can't have a story with thirty-zillion main prespectives or the reader will get lost and not be able to relate! Four is almost to many, and there are at least six in the Fellowship of the ring alone, with new ones added every book!
My rant is done....
Czar, how do you feel about poetry?
peter, kill a sacred cow in New Dehli why don't you? criticizing Tolkien, good grief.
Trying to respond to all here – very happy to see input!!
Caleb – welcome to my blog. I appreciated your insight – you’re clearly more well-studied in Lewis and Tolkein than I! Tolkein seems to take pride in the subtlety of Christianity in his stories, and I think that has its role. However, I maintain that one can have a strong Christian message – as I think Out of the Silent Planet highlights so coyly and so well – and not only compromise your storytelling, but enhance it. I mean, is or is not redemption the greatest story ever told? Just because it is now familiar to some of us should not remove the wonder – God forbid we’d hesitate to share Christ, even in writing, for fear that we would be thought uncreative.
That brings me to Czar, whom I both wholly agree and disagree with… as usual *wry grin*. I strongly concur with your assessment of Lewis as the stronger and better writer, however, I take issue with your overall thoughts on Tolkein. While Tolkein’s characters are decidedly more distant from reality than Lewis’, I believe the struggles and personalities they represent are sympathetic – I can relate to at least two of Tolkein’s characters relatively well (wouldn’t you like to know who ;)).
Derby – *laughing* I think the cow is already dead – it keeled over in horro!
Kerri – I look forward to reading “That Hideous Strength” when I get there :)
Post a Comment