Since Kelly was kind enough to put up a very sweet post about bridesmaids, and every one of hers in particular, I thought I would put up a brief set of talking points about being a bridesmaid. (Talking points?? Good grief. I’ve been working on the Hill too long…) I just figured it was appropriate as I finish packing for my weekend of sleepovers, rehearsals, preparation, and vow-watching…
I speak of the true bridesmaids, the ones who are maids, as in they are not married. Here we are, helping the bride get ready, and going before her down the aisle to say: “yes, I support the propelling of you into this new way of life that I cannot even begin to comprehend. Have fun.” As if we know or have any idea what we’re talking about. We’re there to condone something we don’t even understand. How does that work?
Of course, you’re glad to be there. You wouldn’t have been asked to stand up in front of all those people if you hadn’t been through a whole lot with at least one of the people saying their vows. But the whole time you’re wondering, what real right do I have to be here, except that I was asked?
And you know, it’s hard work being a bridesmaid. It’s like having all the downers of being involved with a wedding without the long-term benefits. You endure all the worries – will the dress make me look fat? What if I break out the day of the wedding? What if I trip on my dress? What if my heels make me taller than the guy I will be escorted by?
Of course, you know very well in the back of your mind that no one is really going to be looking at you at the wedding. However, you acutely feel that you need to work hard to ensure that none of the above happens, because if it did, people would notice you and you’d be a distraction. Not to mention the fact that however you look will be immortalized in pictures, forever and ever, amen. (This, for the record, is why you volunteer to make a scrapbook for the couple’s wedding present. *grin*) And bridesmaids don’t have the advantage of the beautiful bride glow that seems to cover every possible blemish of a girl on the day of her wedding.
Or do they?
Being a bridesmaid is sort of like serving in an army or volunteering at a soup kitchen… it’s about being a part of something that is bigger than yourself. It’s celebrating something more important than yourself. Laying down your life… sounding familiar?
Perhaps that is why the celebration of marriage is a common analogy in Scripture. No, not just an analogy… it is a future fact. The marriage supper of the Lamb. “The Spirit and the Bride say, ‘Come!’” It’s an invitation to attend the ultimate wedding ceremony, and not to put ourselves forward and show how great and beautiful we are, but to honor the love that has been undeservingly bestowed by Christ. We are both participants and awed observers. And in all of the joy and festivities and celebration… it is not about us. It is about Him. By His good pleasure He has invited us by His side, and He asks us to stand there and take in His glory.
Kelly seems to think I’ve been a good little bridesmaid because I’ve tried to put my own desires aside to try to make things easier for her. I have tried, but I consider it an honor and a privilege to do so. In any case, I figure it is good practice.
He shall cover thy scars with His fingertips,
And shall be without blemish in His sight.
No comments:
Post a Comment