Friday, October 28, 2005

Bloodlust

That is the word I would use to best describe the atmosphere of politics right now. For the last week, it’s characterized every other headline, and it is worth looking at why.
Take, for example, the great build-up among liberals anticipating the death toll in Iraq crossing the 2,000 mark. The way it was being screeched in the media for days before and after the accident that killed Staff Sgt. George Alexander Jr. of Killeen, Texas. He did have a name, you know. But the way some people were acting, it was as if it didn’t matter who it was, as long as they made their precious benchmark. Heaven forbid every one of our soldiers had been preserved after the 1,999 level – protesters would have gone crazy pressing “refresh” on Move On or staring at their television screen, waiting for an announcement they thought would somehow vindicate them. There was little care over who it was. They needed a body. Literally.
Does anyone else see the problem here? When did they go from mourning to celebrating?
Almost completely unreported was the passage of the Iraqi constitution by an astounding 79 percent of voters, with a voter turnout rate that puts our own country to shame. But don’t worry. We’re not doing any good and nobody wants us there. After all, we’ve lost 2,000 soldiers.
Or take, for example, the recent round of indictments. While the White House probe has been simmering for some time, charges against
DeLay inaugurated the recent witch-hunt fever. And now the White House indictments are supposed to be announced today. The number of people frothing at the mouth over this thing is utterly ridiculous, while not unprecedented. I don’t deny there were plenty of people who were just as rabid for Clinton’s hide just inside of a decade ago. But the problem with any such crusade, when conducted without a hint of moral guidance, is that no distinction is being made between the men and women involved and our institutions. No, I don’t think we have a perfect system of government. (This may come as a shock to some of you.) However, I do believe that we should maintain a certain level of respect for our institutions based on the fact that they have worked for the last two hundred and some years, and I would like for them to last even longer than that.
In that vein, let me not forget the Supreme Court vacancy debacle. I hope that yesterday represents a turning point after a disappointing chapter following a rather triumphant
beginning, though I realize the court of history will have a much better grasp of Chief Justice Roberts’ impact than I ever will. I am disappointed to see the President humiliated like he is right now – this time last year I was working 16 hour days to get him reelected – but I must say he asked for this one. I’m just glad he managed to get out of it somewhat gracefully, though we will see what the pundits end up doing with it. All will probably depend on the next nominee. I think he would do well to announce her today, even though it would be seen as a cover for the indictments. That would be true. But it wouldn’t matter. The American people will care much more about who is on the Supreme Court than Scooter Libby in fifty years. Frankly, I don’t really know why I care now. Maybe I’ll find out once it all goes down.
But again, this is my point. Those so bent on discrediting someone, anyone, seem more concerned with an agenda then the consequences. They don’t care about being right as much as they are concerned with someone else is wrong. But not only does this demoralize just about everyone involved in governance, but it undermines faith in the executor, the legislature, the courts. If you want anarchy, fine; at least come out and say it so we can have a meaningful discussion. Granted, people should lend credence to their government on something more than the basis of popularity, and they do – albeit a tacit ascent, more often than not. The status quo is generally accepted, for better or worse.
So how do we stop the bloodlust? When will the focus change?

Maybe the answer comes in part from a meeting I just took. Two women from Georgia talking about ocular research. I noticed that one of the women kept looking at me curiously, and seemed to be hanging on my every word. (Not very common, for the record!) I came to find out she was a visiting researcher from Europe and had been in the states for some time now. As the meeting concluded, she smiled at me.
“In the Netherlands, we have nothing like this,” she said with a bit of shyness and awe. “We don’t have representatives – we can’t talk to the people in the government. Here, and I was impressed with this the last time I came, too – there are so many young people like you, who are so involved and know so much. I think it is wonderful.”
She simply appreciated the ability of an American – even an adopted American – to walk into their representative’s office and sit in his inner chamber, whether he was there or not. It’s not that I’m smart or know so much about NIH reauthorization. I was simply there. Maybe it will just take a generation of people with that appreciation to reclaim politics a debate, an art, not the mockery it’s being made out to be.
Just maybe.

2 comments:

Christy said...

In other news, Tom Brokaw recently did an hour long special on this new species of Americans called Evangelicals. Tom at one point asks "Who *are* these people??" He later determines that the epicenter of these strange creatures is in Colorado Springs, at New Life Church (the Pastor is the head of the National Evangelical Association). What an astounding discovery! Brokaw's next story just may be "The Race to the Moon - which country will win?"

Vigilante Clowns of Justice said...

rock on, Leeann