Wednesday, April 06, 2005

What a (beautiful) day.

Just working on believing the beautiful part right now. It is gorgeous outside, and the intern just told me it’s supposed to reach 81 here in DC today. Leave it to this former swamp land to be 30 degrees over the weekend and fifty degrees warmer the next week!
It’s just been a disconcerting morning, that’s all. I woke up and smiled because I felt rested, which I desperately needed. I stretched and rolled over, which prompted me to nearly scream. For some unknown reason, the lymph nodes the right side of my face are a little swollen, and just the sensation of my pillow was painful. My roommates say it’s allergies; I maintain that I do not have allergies. Of course, I simply pouted to myself and justified the incident as a reason to give myself five more minutes.
I finally rolled out of bed, hurried to get ready. I’m trying to balance the scale between the few benefits of getting to work early with the fact that I will almost always work late. So I decided to take a new bus this morning, the 7:35. I heard the bus turning the corner the moment I walked out the door, which meant I would catch it right on time. I hopped on and put on my sunglasses and basked in the early morning sun while catching up on some devotional reading.
And then something happened that made me embarrassed to be an American. After the bus ran its course of stops, the new driver made the mistake of not getting on the HOV lane, at which a large woman on the bus started to have a cow. “Why didn’t you get in the HOV lane?!” she screamed in a frenzy. Some passengers added muddled growls. The driver tried to explain that it had been backed up earlier. However, it was now the regular lanes that were backed up, and the passengers wouldn’t let her forget it. About halfway through the traffic jam, some punk about my age sneered, “Nice job.” I was incredibly sickened by this attitude of, “Wow, I’m so glad I was born… otherwise what would the world be here for?” We arrived at the station only five minutes late. All the angst for five minutes they wouldn’t even remember by this evening, unless these people truly have little lives.
The trains were a little late in running, but that was okay. I accepted the fact that my waking up early was in vain, time-wise. I came to my stop and got an Express from the same nice guy that always stands at the top of the escalator, who wishes me a wonderful day. I reciprocate and turn to Pearls Before Swine, which is my version of coffee – I have to have it every morning or I am very cranky. Then I read about the new border policy that Rice announced yesterday, because I’m going to need to draw up new immigration language when our new LD gets here. That will be fun since it’s a subject I am actually interested in. Not that I’m not interested in the plight of the two hundred plus chicken farmers who have written in over the last week…
In the meantime, I’ve already written a half dozen letters and am working on drinking as much water as I possibly can in an effort to aid my apparently ailing immune system. Decided to reward myself with posting a blog, and here it is. Off to the rest of the day.


Let the world despise and leave me, they have left my Savior, too;
Human hearts and looks deceive me, Thou art not, like them, untrue.
And while Thou dost smile upon me, God of wisdom, love, and might
Foes may hate and friends disown me – show Thy face and all is bright.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a consolation, even though you have never had allergies before, they can spring up on you. (No, pun intended.) So you are not dying... Besides, you can't die - Al and I wont let you...plus you need life insurance first. *smirk*

Leeann said...

Yes, but to my credit, I have the life insurance taken care of... it's health insurance I don't have yet, so I can die, but I can't get sick. Hmmm, sounds very like me, doesn't it? :-P Can't be in the middle, one way or t'other... if I leave you my closet space will that ease the pain? ;-)

Anonymous said...

Dying would be a bad option. Period. Speaking of dying... I meant to tell you, Lee, that Mortimer died. *sniff* Sad, I know. He didn't have life insurrance either.

Bummer.

Anonymous said...

Apparently Faith died too. Some Spring this is turning out to be.