I’ve started what I trust will be a very profitable tradition of reading from “The Valley of Vision” on my ride to work every morning. It’s a beautiful collection of Puritan prayers and devotions. The title page includes a portion of a verse from Isaiah: “the burden of the valley of vision,” which indicates the Puritan understanding of the responsibility that comes with the joy of learning more about God. It’s a sobering reminder, but it spurs me, for one, on to loving Him more. What do you think the prophet meant by describing this burden?
The prayer this morning was particularly good, and I wanted to include a part of it. It reflects where I am going and where I want to be. I hope it’s edifying to y’all, as well.
I am well pleased with Thy will, whatever it is, or should be in all respects,
And if Thou bidst me decide for myself in any affair,
I would choose to refer all to Thee, for Thou are infititely wise and cannot do amiss,
As I am in danger of doing.
I rejoice to think that all things are at Thy disposal and it delights me to leave them there.
Then prayer turns wholly into praise, and all I can do is to adore and bless Thee.
What shall I give there for all Thy benefits?
I long to make some return, but have nothing to offer, and can only rejoice that Thou doest all,
That none in heaven or on earth shares Thy honour;
I can of myself do nothing to glorify Thy blessed name, but I can through grace cheerfully surrender soul and body to Thee,
I know that Thou art the author and finisher of faith,
That the whole work of redemption is Thine alone,
That every good work or thought found in me is the effect of Thy power and grace,
That Thy sole motive in working in me to will and to do for Thy good pleasure.
O God, it is amazing that men can talk so much about man’s creaturely power and goodness,
When, if Thou didst not hold us back every moment, we should be devils incarnate.
This, by bitter experience, Thou hast taught me concerning myself.
1 comment:
Living and thinking according to the truth that God is sovereign does not come easily, does it? In some circumstances God's sovereignty is comforting; in others we fight against it to "insure" what we want is accomplished. It takes a great deal of faith and hope to act according to the sovereignty of God. Maybe one day my life will be characterized by the attitude of resting in the sovereignty of God…
Post a Comment