Sunday, April 24, 2005

Shalom

By most calendars, today was April 24, 2005; but by the Jewish calendar, it was 15 Nisan 5764. And tonight I had the opportunity to participate in a ceremony that has taken place over the span of roughly five millennia. I went to a Passover celebration in Fairfax and celebrated a Seder with both Jews and non-Jews and had a fantastic time. I sat at a table with three generations of a Jewish family that has been doing this for all their lives. It is amazing to watch these people worship God! They are following in the ancient tradition of David, who we know through Scripture praised God through song and dance. The father, mother, and twelve-year-old daughter were all well versed in celebratory dancing and it was so much fun to watch. These people have such a passion because they come from a tradition that points exclusively to the coming of the Messiah, but unlike most of their people, they know that Messiah has come. And they exude an indescribable joy, one that is lacked among too many Christians. I think one reason why is because they know their history, and frankly, too many of us don’t. That’s the whole reason that Passover is celebrated; to remember God’s faithfulness in the past and look forward to the ultimate fulfillment of His promises. And frankly, as a Gentile believer, the Lord’s supper has made a WHOLE lot more sense since I put it in the context of the Passover, which was how Jesus initiated the practice. Do this in remembrance of Me. I don’t think that necessary just referred to the bread and the wine. It’s the whole ceremony and celebration of Passover, because for thousands of years before He came to earth, Passover pointed to Him. And now, Passover testifies of Him. It’s all so very cool, I wish I could go into detail, but I will leave that there for tonight.

As I left tonight, all that Jewish family hugged me goodbye… I thanked them for sharing their tradition with me. The mom laughed gently and very seriously reminded me that I should never feel inferior because I am not a Jewish believer, that we are all whole in Christ. And she’s right. But as I was driving home tonight, I was ruminating on the folks I know on the other extreme, who believe that the purpose of Israel has been annihilated by the establishment of the church. They would likely say the reverse to the Jewish believer. Both the church and the Israelite remnant have been chosen by God. While the state of Israel may not be the agent of God on earth anymore, I can’t believe that God’s everlasting promises to the people He calls His people were spoken lightly. To Abraham, He promises blessings to His people forevermore. And God has blessed all nations through the lineage of David by sending Y’shua. But God’s people are His people – all of us – and I don’t believe that will ever change. He is forever our shalom.

L’shana ha ba’ah b’rushalayim!

I saw the Holy City
Descending from the sky;
So brilliant with the Light of God
The City is His Bride

There is no Temple in this town,
No sun, no moon, no lamp;
But God’s own Glory is its Light
Illuminated by the Lamb;

And God Himself will wipe the tears
From ev’ry weeping eye;
No death, no pain, no mourning cry
And every tear made dry…

For God Himself will dwell with them
The New Jerusalem;
And He Himself will walk with them
The New Jerusalem…

2 comments:

My Fathers' Daughter said...

You are so awesome. Did I ever tell you that before?

Glad you had fun, sorry I was gone, and will talk with you soon :-)

Anonymous said...

Shalom, my dear! And yes....Next year in Jerusalem!