Saturday, April 01, 2006

On this road that will take me home

So, I go a week without posting, and then y’all get three in the span of just over 24 hours. Aren’t you feeling lucky.

It’s amazing to me how many songs that so defined previous seasons of my life are coming back to me recently, laden with far more meaning than ever before. This is one of them, dedicated to a professor none of us will ever forget. Salve, and may God go with you.

They say there’s a place where dreams have all gone
They never said where, but I think I know;
It’s miles through the night, just over the dawn,
On the road that will take me home…

I know in my bones I’ve been here before
The ground feels the same, though the land’s been torn;
I’ve a long way to go, the stars tell me so,
On the road that will take me home…

Love waits for me ‘round the bend
Leads me endlessly on
Surely sorrows shall find their end
And all our troubles will be gone;
And I’ll know what I’ve lost and all that I’ve won
When the road finally takes me home

And when I pass by don’t lead me astray
Don’t try to stop me, don’t stand in my way;
I’m bound for the hills, where cool waters flow
On this road that will take me home…

2 comments:

A Scottish Whisper said...

Funny, that song always conjures up sweet, melancholy moments for me. That song will always have a special place with me...

Derby said...

I heard on the radio that you got off of work early today.. lucky!