Thursday, April 06, 2006

Landed (or will be)

I must begin this entry with a confession of what a nerd I’ve become. This will come as no shock to some of you, namely, just about anyone who has spent any meaningful time with me in person for the last six months or so. But I am a nerd. Since I came home from discipleship training this evening and got my laundry underway, I’ve been checking the House floor proceedings (courtesy of the Library of Congress) because the word on the street is the budget vote will be tonight – not tomorrow, as currently planned, and I wanted to see what precisely is going on. It’s hard telling from a written transcript only updated every ten minutes or so. But at least I haven’t turned on CSPAN.com.

And I don’t like all of you who just chimed in, “yet.”

When Georgia hasn’t been on my mind this evening, California has been. Now, if I had a scrap of sense, I would’ve planned my trip home for several weeks ago – when everything around D.C. was dead and I was in desperate need of some spring and sunshine. Well just as D.C. is getting San Diego weather (for the two weeks per year that happens), I go to the place that inspired said weather. The original is still the best, but it would’ve been more prudent to spread out my enjoyment of the season.

Ah, well. This way, my visit coincides with my mom’s spring break and the congressional schedule. All I’ll be missing at work on Monday is a collective deep breath and give my editing team a break to catch up on their own work before I make more for them. Isn’t that exceeding generous of me? I’ll be sure to text message them as I’m watching a sunset on the beach to remind them of the great sacrifice I made for their sanity. *grin*

But far more important, I get to have family time… no plans, just being in my home for three glorious days, eating food I just can’t get here (steak barbequed dad-style, good avocados, and pork ribs, for example – not all at once of course), hopefully doing some recording with dad and his new digital sound studio (cross your fingers that it works), and hopefully getting rid of the exceeding tightness plaguing my left shoulder blade right now. If nothing else, the trip will be a success if I can forget about the six-inch-thick stack of letters sitting on by desk back in D.C.

I will try.

In twenty five hours, I’ll be singing… “Come pick me up… I’ve landed.” I love flying into San Diego at night. :-D

9 comments:

Allison said...

Glad you will be getting your fill of recently dead animal in CA and not in our house - enjoy!

Christy said...

Why were you watching the budget bill last night?! I was totally watching CSPAN for the immigration bill. Now THAT is big news! And yes, I'm a nerd too. :-P

Leeann said...

The budget is actually a great floor fight to watch – no other time do you see such a clear difference between the actual philosophies behind the parties. Now whether these philosophies actually end up making a difference in action is another debate (though anyone who thinks the Ds would be spending less than the Rs are now is, in my opinion, incorrect), but it’s interesting to see the head-to-head of “this is the taxpayer’s money” versus “the government must take care of people.”
Interestingly, the House budget resolution did not make it to the floor. The moderate Rs sunk it once again. And the RSC doesn’t like the budget because it doesn’t go far enough to cut spending. So we won’t have a budget framework till after the Easter recess… nor an immigration bill… as JP so aptly put it this morning, “So we send everyone home to say, ‘But we have a budget framework!’ – no, wait, don’t have that… ‘we’re going to stop illegal immigration!” – okay, not that either…”

Anonymous said...

Mmm, some good California cooking... let it be known that I am jealous. :o)

Christy said...

lol...unfortunately, JP is right. So much for those great ideas...

My Fathers' Daughter said...

I can help with the shoulder blade...forgot to tell you that Thursday :-(

And yeah, floor procedings are intriguing. You actually get emphatic speeches when people threaten to touch money.

Kate said...

Have a great time at home, Leeann! :-)

A Scottish Whisper said...

You know, it's a sad thing (or maybe it's funny--I don't know) when you turn on C-SPAN2 and after listening intently for about 10 seconds, burst out laughing. Don't ask me why this happens--I guess reading betwixt the lines has it's disadvantages, but GOOD GRIEF! They get up and SAY something and MEAN something else. And you can see right where they're going with it too. Downright hilarious I tell you. All that to say mega dittoes, I concur entirely, enjoy your trip, shamrocks are green and decaffinated coffee is a direct result of the fall.

Anonymous said...

Wish they all could be California...