The trip started innocently enough, as they often do, at Union Station. Sarah was having a bit of a freakout because she wasn't in charge, and it was 8 pm and neither our tickets nor the trip coordinator were in sight. At that time, the cell phone came out. It was a good exercise in patience and letting other people be in charge, hmm, dearie?
As always, Allis is the even keel that keeps us sane. "Just give me my essays on egalitarianism, for crying out loud..."

Much to the surprise of some, we actually did make it on the train. Unfortunately, we somewhat inexperienced train-travellers ended up stuck in the "Quiet Car." What a rare delight that was. We were so thankful the neurotic guy with the neck warmer who kept his book and his ticket in plastic baggies got off in Baltimore - the guy yelled and Allis and Joel for being too loud! I mean, HONESTLY, yell at me, even if I wasn't the one being loud at the moment, because that's just not right! At least I had a good seatmate to giggle with...

Several hours later, we arrived, and New York was never the same.

(yes, I took this from the top of the Empire State Building, attempting to be artistic.)
Thanks to Joel and his wonderful chain, we were treated to a wonderful room in a wonderful hotel. While they were out of rooms with two double beds, we girls managed with a king and a cot... though Sarah almost combusted, but she got better. And I almost didn't get up because the thing was so incredibly soft and comfortable... "go on without me..."
Anyway, this was the view from our room window.

After coffee stop number one and hitching a subway car at Grand Central Station, the tourism commenced. Sarah, Joel and our first stop... the Empire State Building!

It was just a little cold and windy at the top (I'm NOT posting the picture of these two outside because I fear for my life, unlike Sarah who clearly does not)... okay REALLY cold and windy... but they have a very nice indoor observation deck on the 86th floor, which we quickly came to appreciate.

Tim and Becca being cute, as if engaged couples can be anything else...?

Long way down... my hands were shaking so badly as I stuck my camera over the edge of the building, I was sure I was going to drop it - but I also thought this would be a cool picture to take. ("I compared this to all my other hairbrained ideas, and I... did it... anyway.") Definitely puts things in perspective.

Self-portrait...

A portion of the classic New York skyline - part of the financial district, Statue of Liberty, and Ellis Island. All sites for the next visit!
7 comments:
TOO much fun!!! As if I wasn't already jealous!
And nexxt time you see the Moughons (and the future Moughon ;-))say "hi" for me.
I want it dully noted that while Leeann makes me out to sound a little obsessed - I was not. *smirk*
Otherwise Lee depicts this trip perfectly - it was very much fun!! Eventually I hope at least a portion of my life will be spent not walking the streets as a tourist, but a resident. *smile*
I'm simply green and all that. We always meant to go to NY, but somehow we only ended up seeing JFK, which isn't that impressive.
Looks like you all had lots of fun! I was asking myself why I didn't do one of those weekend New York trips when I lived back east and it came to me in a flash - oh yeah, I was studying. :-D Thanks for sharing all of the pictures - I especially liked the artistic picture of the skyline. :-)
I love the pictures! :-)
Great pics. I'm glad you took the high one - where were you?
awesome photos! awesome trip. You guys must have had such a great itme.
Post a Comment