Monday, September 05, 2005

Virginia Beach

How can one put into words the oasis created by three perfect days far away from the ringing of Hill phones and angry constituents, no house chores to do, and time allotted specifically for doing nothing? I spent more time in the last three days with sand between my toes than I did sleeping. Well, sleeping when NOT on the beach, because I did some of that, too. It was my first experience in the Atlantic proper, and I must say I was duly impressed. The water temperature was somewhere approaching 80 and the air temperature was a basically dry 84 with a nice breeze. That’s the analytical way to say what the beach bums call “totally awesome!”
Sarah and I drove to the Leichliter’s on Friday night, making good time after the initial DC-Friday-afternoon traffic. We made it there by about 8:30 and spent the evening chatting and eating ice cream. Then we were up-and-at-‘em to hit the beach on Saturday morning. Unfortunately, we decided to take the long way there – but a couple minutes less in the sun probably didn’t hurt us. We arrived on the beach, which wasn’t nearly as populated as one might expect on a Labor Day weekend, and our time went something like this: set up camp, swim, lay on the beach, read, get too warm, swim, lay on beach, take a walk, get warm, swim, ad infinitum. And it was fantastic.
Having been raised in a beach town, it was hard to wrap my mind around the idea of going to the beach as a vacation. Beaches were as much a part of my upbringing as my ABCs. Going to Aruba or Tahiti or has never really appealed to me. But this experience has convinced me of my previous inadequacy of understanding. Beaches are a good thing. I’d still rather go to Scotland or Ireland any day, but I now at least understand why someone would want to go on a tropical vacation.
The next day was much the same, but sadly, with less swimming. Some rip currents came up and the lifeguards weren’t letting people in past knee-height. Pansies. I knew the lifeguards were pansies on the first day when I was just swimming around trying to see where my ocean swimming skills are anymore, and I was just getting out past the initial layer of waves when I was called in. Now I know they don’t want people messing around, but come on, I was not more than 30 strokes from shore – and in a depth not much more than my height! I call that pa-tha-tic. Out in California we have ocean swimmers who will go out a mile or two off shore and then swim back, and our lifeguards don’t complain! They just save you if you need it! I thought that was the point. Oh well.
So in the absence of an ability to get in the water, we did a lot more walking around on Sunday. We visited the little shops, grabbed smoothies, got hit on in the smoothie shop, and walked up and down the boardwalk a couple times. So we got in our exercise. We had dinner at this neat little place called Abbey Road Pub and Restaurant, a Beatles-themed British place not far from the water. I would gripe about the fact that they refused our coupon except for the fact that they had the best crab cakes I’ve ever had. And really good nachos. Except for the fact that in Virginia Beach, the waiters don’t seem to have a concept of an “appetizer” at something that comes BEFORE the main course – both nights, our appetizer came with our meal. So much for appeasing!
We came back pretty tired and sunburned on Sunday night, but with enough energy to chat it up plenty with Mark and Erin. Enough to cause plenty of trouble. *wry grin* Sometimes it’s just good to remember that we still have our edge. With the way Erin was taking notes this weekend I thought I was a regular walking quote wall, but that is what I get for opening my big fat mouth… (and as Sarah would say, “I was about to say that!”)
Today, we all sat down to breakfast, had and a good laugh over the fact that I wasn’t the one making breakfast. Mark commented that it was time they returned the favor after the years I made people breakfast in college. Hmm. Wondering if that means I can start calling in the favors all over the country at some point… anyway, Mark then set his mind on studying, so we girls had some good girl talk. It was very fun to just have a relaxing time to putz around. And wonderful to see Erin. Always good to see evidence up close and personal that dreams do still come true. I remember back when I would go up to Erin’s room and we would just yell to the rafters about our issues… *chuckle* I’m glad those days are over for her sake! And it’s nice to remember that married people can still be cool and friendly. So thanks for extending your floor space to us, guys! We had a wonderful time.
And Sarah and I just had fun existing. We were content most of the time to just lie down and read in turn, just vegging and relishing it. (No pun intended…) We kept dressing alike and saying a lot of things at the same time, but what else is new. I’m just so thankful to be blessed with such friends.
So it was a marvelous weekend. I can’t believe boss will be back tomorrow, and now there’s two vacancies on the Supreme Court. I’m glad we won’t be dealing with it directly, but I’m sure our constituents will think we are. *sigh* I hope the House can adjourn without the Senate, otherwise, this could be a wild ride.
But for now, I’ll just enjoy the remaining 10 hours or so of my vacation.
Good night, world. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The reading audience should take note that Mark and Erin are wonderful hosts. *smile*

Leeann is quite accurate in stating that this was a refreshing weekend - I thoroughly enjoyed the time away from full inboxes, constant inquiries from coworkers on the status of their projects, long hours in the office, and upset Green Card holders. The only problem was that it was not near long enough to make me ready to come back to the above and more...especially taxi drivers whom have no idea where they are going and make you late for activities you NEED to get done. *rolls eyes*

A Scottish Whisper said...

Ditto on the Scotland or Ireland trip! That is so cool that you were able to check out the Atlantic (even if the life guards are pa-theh-tik). :~) Hope that you're job is still a lot of fun, and when it isn't--God is still sovereign! God bless and God speed!