When I was walking into work on Friday, I looked up through my usual grogginess to a sight that propelled me back into a crystal clear memory. There were two white fifteen passenger vans waiting outside of Rayburn, tended by two clean-cut young men in suits. I nearly stopped in my tracks. For a moment, the office complex was the main building, and I was walking up a side of the circle with luggage in tow. Brian was behind me, carrying the evidence box and asking what our aff case was. I saw Matthew and Christy talking as he loaded the van, and heard Heather stressing out about something. There was a touch of fall on the breeze – but that was as much reality as memory.
Or maybe it was a moot court tournament, and we were preparing to drive through the night, and I would write a song to ease the length of the journey. I’d ponder law school on the drive, and wonder if that should be my post-graduation path.
Debate. It was like football at PHC; the fall sport. It was my life for my last two years of school – two out of the three years I was in college. Almost as much as part of PHC to me as toasting bagels and cooking liquid egg product for students with their eyes swollen shut at 8 am. I was able to be a part – a small part but nonetheless – of this tradition. Does it even qualify as a tradition? Anyway… I miss it. I hate to admit it, but there, I said it. I even miss fighting with Brian. Now he’s so lovestruck you probably couldn’t get him to disagree with anything solong as April was on your side… how the mighty have fallen. All those speaker awards gone to waste. *sigh* Just kidding, pardner.
So those were the thoughts that grew out of the sighting of two white vans. My mind kept drifting back to them all day. Made me smile.
What else to report? Considering my concerns, the weekend wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it might be. Had a blast on Friday night – hit happy hour with coworkers and roomies and discovered Portobello fries (VERY yummy… heavens I’m going veggie!), went to see a fun Hitchcock-inspired foreign film at an indy movie theater downtown (the movie was “Elevator to the Gallows,” have to love that title… can you tell Allis picked?). Saturday was a whirlwind. ESL got underway, and I am very excited about it. I’m not totally confident in my ability to do this, but I figure God will use it regardless. The students are awesome and I can’t wait to get to know them better. The program is still a little chaotic and disorganized and I’m having a hard time restraining the typical Leeann desire to fill any decision-making vacuum… but I’m trying to resist…
After ESL, Sarah and I raced west. I made it in time to help set up for Kelly’s shower, which was very fun. It’s hard to believe that in two weeks, Kelly will be Mrs. Sauer. I’ll be saving a lot on postage for Christmas cards this year, at least *rolls eyes*. Seriously, it was a very fun time. I got to see her house – the pictures don’t do it justice! I teared up walking around, realizing how real this whole thing is. Not that I’m not happy for them – I am elated. It’s just so grown-up… so permanent… and I know it’s supposed to be…
I think a part of it is that I only have one week left of being 21. I’ve LIKED being 21. It’s a nice cusp between being an adult but still respected because of what you’ve accomplished “at your age.” Prideful, I know. But I like being the youngest person in the room. I like people thinking I’m five years older than I am. (I may not in give years, but I like it now!) And once 22 sets in, I mean… the next really big birthday is 30. I guess 25 can be big, but 22… I like being 21. Not that this has exactly been my red-letter year, but I have learned more than I ever thought I would (ever wanted to for that matter). I know I’m just dragging my feet cause I’ve rarely met a change I liked. Maybe it will be good. I can have that much faith. Right?
In the meantime, in case things get too busy between now and then, happy birthday to the following people: Allis (Tuesday), who will at least make me feel young for the week that she and Sarah are two years older than me *grin*, my partner in crime and advisory in politics from time to time, who has somehow learned to put up with me on a constant basis, who I wouldn’t change for the world; Cassidy (Thursday), one of the rare people whose putting up with me has lasted since we were 11 – and if you know me now, you can just imagine me at 11 and have respect that Cassidy still acknowledges my existence, much less is friends with me, Cassidy, who I am so proud of for how she serves her God and her country, soon to be Naval officer, but always the sister of my heart, MOTND; and Czar (Friday)… what to say about Peter, except that if it wasn’t for him, this household would get a LOT more sleep cumulatively *grin*, a great writer, the best object of affliction I have ever known, and I guess I have to be nice to you because Sarah seems to have taken a shining to you. So since you’re going to be a permanent fixture to my life, for better or worse, I guess I wish you a happy birthday, too.
Hope you enjoy this random blog… it is a welcome break from a lot of the heavy stuff that’s been up here lately. Figured I had to remind myself and everyone else that I’m still me. Here’s to another week in the capitol of the free world!
3 comments:
:sigh: Memories of fall... and the vans...
My turn for confession... I miss Moot Court.
Lee, I'm still waiting for you to send me the lyrics to your "Boston in the fall" song. I need it for my scrapbook.
"Well we're the moot court team, who wins at everything..."
I've known you since you were eleven as well, or somewhere really close to that. Wow! We've known each other for just about at many years as we didn't know each other... Long time my friend, and I'm glad we are sttill friends. :o)
*groan* THAT makes me feel old! MRS. SAUER is Pete's mom. Sheesh. I'm just Kell. Gah. You're making me nervous!!!
Post a Comment