Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Tagged

While I’m waiting for time to write a substantive, non-San Diego related post (you, public, can be very demanding about you want to read here considering it’s MY blog), I’m going to respond to getting “tagged” by Megan (see her comment one post down). I’m supposed to tell you seven random, true things about myself. This will be presented in a very uncreative numerical format, but I hope it is still somewhat entertaining.

  1. The tallest mountain I have ever climbed is Alta Peak in the Sierras. The summit is at 11,204 feet; over 4,000 feet of that elevation is obtained during the actual fourteen-mile hike. I found a great collection of someone else’s pictures of the trail here if you’re interested. My next hiking ambition is to hike the back of Half Dome in Yosemite… someday.
  2. After my initial “I want to be a gardener like my Daddy when I grow up” stage, my career ambition was to be a dolphin trainer at Sea World. My favorite were the Commerson’s dolphins. I distinctly remember being quite annoyed by the ignorant tourists who would tell their children they were baby killer whales and usually wouldn’t hesitate to correct them. Additionally, I was appalled by the infused commercialism that took place at Sea World when Anheuser-Bush bought the franchise in the early nineties. They took the Commerson’s housing away to make room for a ride.
  3. In spite of my Dad being a prolific songwriter and my having written about a half dozen songs myself, we’ve only cowritten one complete piece together.
  4. I already have a decorating scheme pretty much worked out for the house I’m going to have someday. The kitchen will be painted brick-red and have rod iron accents (inspired by Market Street Coffee); one room will have a history theme (Revolutionary/Civil War site pictures); another will have all black and white or sepia pictures. The halls will have family and friends pictures and the living room (hopefully) will have some classy but unique D.C. shots.
  5. If I had been a boy, my parents planned to name me Clinton. That I was a girl was certainly an intervention of providence; I probably never would've worked in Republican politics otherwise...
  6. If money was not an object, I would go either to law school or get my master’s in American Literature, American History, or something of that nature. Since I probably couldn’t make a decision between those three options, perhaps it is better that money is an object!
  7. My first memory of political activism is wearing a “Perot for President” t-shirt when I was eleven years old. I believe my parents got it from volunteering in a phone bank. Even then, campaign shirts ran about five sizes too big. As I type this, I am wearing the big, longsleeved version of the "Oregon is Bush-Cheney Country" shirt from 2004. Funny thing, that.

2 comments:

em said...

Love the bit about your boy name... :)

Anonymous said...

You didn't share your secret. :-P