Since I’m all about the short posts lately, I pose the following to you, dear readers. What is a career woman? I have cataloged some of the insightful (and nauseatingly obvious) replies already received from my non-scientific poll asking this question around my office. I desperately need to wrap my mind around what a career woman is or is not.
“More focused on her career than anything else. Family and social concerns are secondary to her professional ambition.”
"A woman who makes more money than I do.”
"A woman who is determined and has her career as her priority.”
“I'm picturing one of those women from the 80s with massive shoulder pads and maybe a teal suit.”
“A woman who has made a conscious decision to devote herself to a certain discipline.”
“A woman who has a career.”
Oh, and Forbes recently summed up a career woman as one with a university degree who makes over $30,000 and works more than 35 hours a week outside the home. Thoughts?
3 comments:
I agree with Brianna - when I think of a career woman, I think of a woman who puts their career above everything else. However, perhaps this definition is the one that I naturally think of because it is the one presented by the conservative circles (which I admit to being a part of). :-)
Well the Forbes definition can't be right because I have a university degree, make over $30,000 and work more than 35 hours a week outside the home, but I don't think anyone in their right mind would consider what I have at this point to be a career :-p
The Forbes article was amazing. All I could think reading it, was how did this get published?
I think I would agree with Brianna's definition.
And I don't think being married to the male form is pleasant either. (Bri's definition, not Forbes.)
Post a Comment