Thursday, January 19, 2006

On this day in 1809...

The Man...

The Museum...

The Mystery...

... and his incredible work. Raise a glass of cognac. Happy 197th birthday to my favorite poet!

Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
Thus much let me avow--
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream;
Yet if hope has flown away
In a night, or in a day,
In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore,
And I hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand--
How few! yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep,
While I weep--while I weep!
O God! can I not grasp
Them with a tighter clasp?
O God! can I not save
One from the pitiless wave?
Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?

12 comments:

Kelly Sauer said...

*grin*

A Scottish Whisper said...

I'm somewhat indifferent towards the poet, but, did someone mention cognac? :-D

Leeann said...

The funny thing is, Joseph, I've never tried it -- but I need to at some point in homage to Poe! Maybe I'll have to make it part of a trip up to Baltimore to see the tomb sometime.

Anonymous said...

I think Poe would rather you read his poetry to pay homage instead of drinking cognac. *smirk*

Leeann said...

1. Joseph said it was okay.
2. Do you even know what cognac is? ;)
3. In a sense, you raise a valid point, as cognac is never mentioned in Poe's work; however, it has always been the choice of the Poe Toaster who leaves a bottle and three roses on his grave every January 19.

A Scottish Whisper said...

My question is: Who gets the bottle so graciously provided every January 19? Poe isn't in a quaffing mood last time I checked...

A Scottish Whisper said...

btw, to be informative...

Cognac, named after the city in France, is a kind of brandy (distilled wine, meaning it has a higher alcohol content), which must be produced in the region around the town of Cognac. The wine to be distilled must be made from Folle Blanche, Ugni-Blanc or Colombard grapes. It must be distilled twice in pot stills and aged at least 2 1/2 years in oak barrels in order to be called "cognac".

Anonymous said...

My word Lee, do you actually think I am THAT innocent??? I knew what cognac was even BEFORE Joseph so graciously provided the description. *rolls eyes*

A Scottish Whisper said...

It's a Moss family blessing/curse to be randomly informative. *chuckles*

Leeann said...

My understanding is that the curator of the Poe museum actually collects the Toaster’s bottles, and many of them are on display. I guess there is an entire section of the museum devoted to an anonymous individual and his annual ritual. As to the contents of the bottles? Anyone's guess!
All I have to say is, go Joseph. And I find it highly amusing that this is quickly becoming one of my most commented-on posts ever ;)

Anonymous said...

wow - what a back and forth. Props to Sarah, Joe, and Lee. I think I've been inspired to go try a glass :-p

A Scottish Whisper said...

So...Claws--how was that glass? ;-)