Saturday, January 21, 2006

A week in random review

This has been quite a week.

For one thing, I earned several titles at work – tell me what you think of these. The first was Princess of Darkness. (I think Czar will probably vote this is the best of the lot.) This comes from the fact that I like conserving energy in the office when I first get in (byproduct of being raised in California). I usually leave all the lights off as I’m starting my day. When my next coworker gets in, usually 40 minutes later, he always flips the lights on and comments on how utterly abnormal I am. This week he gave me a name for it.

I was also bestowed the name of Agent Walker. Some of the guys were ganging up on a particular object of affliction, who apparently had asked a girl out on a date but refused to tell everyone who she was. They started playing good cop/bad cop and calling each other agents. Of course, Agent Walker was only used once, in a singular command to “step down” when I interjected something. Apparently females were not welcome in the discussion regarding females.

Finally, and this was not a new, but the title Countess of Clips was re-bestowed. I personally like this one the best. I think being a Countess is simply awesome. It just sounds cool. And as far as the clips go… that’s a reference to those black plastic and metal clips used to hold multiple pieces of paper. I work with them so much, I guess it’s only natural I rise to utter and complete domination. I probably touched at least two hundred of them just today.

On that note, not to pat myself on the back, but today (Friday) utterly rocked where work was concerned. My immigration language was FINALLY approved, which set in motion a sequence of events unparalleled in the space-time continuum of LC history. I put together probably two dozen new letters that were simply waiting for that language, added the language to probably three dozen more that were able to get out the door, and write up a dozen other spin-off forms that are now waiting for boss' final approval. Long story short, and I want to shout it from the rooftops: MY DESK IS FINALLY CLEAN. If I can keep my head on my shoulders for the rest of recess, I may even get completely on top of my incoming letters.

And that is a pretty amazing thing. It’s definitely not of me to be able to get all that done… nor has it been on me this week… God has just blessed me exceedingly abundantly beyond all I could ask or imagine. If you’d asked me a year ago (when I was sitting with a fun group in IHOP after the Inagural Ball) what I’d be doing for the next year, the last thing I would’ve said was “work on the Hill”… but I ended up exactly where I needed to be. Isn’t it just like our Heavenly Father to give us what we need and want, even before we know it’s what we want and need?

In other news, I am also feeling very domestic tonight. I’m preparing for my ESL class’ potluck tomorrow and boiled the chicken for the recipe tonight. I then realized that I was making my own chicken broth in the process – and not just any chicken broth, because it has that special Tabasco sauce kick. I was very excited to realize I had a couple mason jars left over from my Christmas salsa project, so I was able to save two jars’ worth for a future cooking experiment. I’m almost ready to help Allis open that commune after all! Well, okay, so that’s a stretch, but it is a start.

A final important note for the evening: move over Half-Baked, there’s a new favorite Ben & Jerry’s flavor in town… Dublin Mudslide. Irish cream ice cream with a coffee fudge ribbon and chocolate chip cookies. Oh yes. It rocks to be Irish.

5 comments:

Asparagus said...

I hope you just talked louder when those troglodytes told you to step down. Not that I would have. But it's always uplifting when other people stand up to chauvinism.

Anonymous said...

Luddite tendencies do not imply that I am planning to join a commune! But maybe not a bad idea at that...

Leeann said...

Now, Allis, I *specifically* remember you saying “commune” the night we did the bonfire at Raven’s Rock… we were driving up and admiring at the little houses nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains and you said something about how lovely it was and how it would be a nice location for the commune!

Asparagus said...

I am definitely up for a commune. Can we have goats? We could write our own monastic rules...and, and...copy manuscripts...and have a library.

A Scottish Whisper said...

Uh...commune? While I might take issue with the concept, I'd have to concur on the choice of location. At least if y'all did use the Raven's Rock site I'd be able to come and visit when you were in a somewhat less seclusive mood. :-P