As I found this text to put up as part of the Incarnation series, I noticed a striking similarity between this carol and Veni, veni Emmanuel. Action words - verbs - are key components of these songs. They are calls to do something. The previous song was a call for God to act; this is a call for mankind to celebrate what God has done by coming to adore the one and only true God. While we may not travel across lands to see Him as a baby, we can still worship Him in our lives and hearts as Redeemer, Savior, Friend.
Adeste, fideles, laeti triumphantes;
Venite, venite in
Natum videte Regem angelorum
Venite adoremus, venite adoremus,
Venite adoremus, Dominum!
Deum de Deo, lumen de lumine,
Parturit virgo mater,
Deum verum, genitum, non factum
En grege relicto, humiles ad cunas
Vocati pastores approperant
Et nos ovanti gradu festinemus
Stella duce, Magi Christum adorantes,
Aurum, thus, et myrrham dant munera
Jesu infanti corda praebeamus
Aeterni Parrentis splendorem aeternum
Velatum sub carne videbimus
Deum infantem, pannis involutem
Pro nobis egenum et foeno cubantem
Piis foveamus amplexibus;
Sic nos amantem quis non redamaret?
Venite adoremus, venite adoremus,
Venite adoremus, Dominum!
~~~~
This has been a very Christmasy weekend. It began with a wonderful and spectacular event - Les Miserables at the National Theater! Oh, what an event. Eponine was fantastic... as was Valjean, Javert, and Fantine. Seeing the production for the first time was just amazing and put a whole new spin on several key scenes... especially Empty Chairs at Empty Tables, Javert's suicide, and of course, the heartbreaking final sequence... "to love another person is to see the face of God"... wow!! Capped off with hot cocoa and talking till 1 am at the townhouse, it made for a delightful evening.
Yesterday was some Christmas shopping, errands and the like, then home to our beautful tree (which has popcorn and cranberry strands now) and various holiday-related tasks. And no, I cannot tell you what in particular they are, or it will spoil the surprise - stop asking!
However, I will say my first attempt at candymaking was a success!
We watched A Muppet Christmas Carol as we crocheted, enjoying our now annual tradition. Sarah and I ordered Chinese (yum), wrapped said caramels, and crocheted some more. Ran out of movie, so we moved on to that great Christmas classic, Pirates of the Carribean. Arrrgh.
Excellent sermon by Pastor Lawrence this morning, I highly reccomend the sermon if you have a moment to listen to it - check out my church's website on the web bar to the left, you can listen to any sermon you want for free!
Afterword, more Christmas making and baking, including an early celebration of Saint Lucia Day. It's actually December 13, which the Nordic cultures have long regarded this as the longest night of the year, when Saint Lucia, the lady of light, comes to dispel the darkness. Being Swedish and Norwegian, I figured this is one time of year I can pay homage to my heritage. Plus, it is a great excuse to make yummy bread and coffee.
Have I mentioned lately that I love Christmastime?
4 comments:
Thank you so much for having us over after Les Mis! :-)
If I am every rich and Lee ever gets tired of working where she currently does, I think I will hire her for my cook. *smile* The bread was so soft and yummy, the Carmels were creamy and good and the other stuff she made was tasty as well. What more could I ask for - a cook whom I love and makes me laugh and likes to do fun things with me and makes my life so much better...even if she chides me about going to bed. *smirk*
Longest night of the year? Erin's parents anniversary! That's ingenious planning if you ask me. :o)
Strangely enough, my brother was just asking me what the Latin lyrics to "O Come, O Come Emmanuel" were. I could remember "veni, veni" because I had just been on your blog :-/
I enjoy your Christmas parties vicariously. The Royal Street girls even send me invitations so I can feel like I'm participating.
--Absent in Body. Present in Soul
Post a Comment