Wednesday, July 27, 2005

How I Spent My Summer Vacation, Part I

As some of you may know, I r-a-n-o-f-t, or rather flew-o-f-t, on Saturday for my hometown of San Diego for a very special birthday surprise! In spite of my missing my initial flight, I managed to make it in plenty of time to shock my mother who screamed beyond all reckoning to see me in my room O:-) That was very fun. Dad and I had her hook, line, and sinker!
This is my first vacation in years, literally, because for once I’m not doing DRW, reading anything school related, or looking for a job 2,000 miles away. I am actually here to relax and spend time with my family. It’s a little late at night (even on west coast time!) to give too many details, but wanted to give y’all an update on how I am spending my summer vacation.
Saturday – first stop: fish taco with Dad. Surprised Mom at home, enjoyed barbequed steak dinner on back porch with family. Remembered what eucalyptus smells like. Overjoyed to find that my cat remembered me.
Sunday – church, and they didn’t even bash Calvinism for a change! Lunch at favorite salad buffet restaurant. Leisurely evening, watched Hitch with family until I got a VERY special call from my VERY special big sister who is now planning a VERY special occasion *huge grin* - CONGRATS, BETH!!!!
Monday – errands, sent off the Hanna’s baby blanket, accomplished some shopping for Kelly *wry grin*, and resigned to the fact that I can’t get away from political involvement. Mom and I went to a City Council meeting to protest something that ended up being taken off the docket. It was the first time I’d ever been to San Diego City Hall, and I’m not even a resident anymore. Go figure. San Diego is on its third or fourth mayor in like two weeks. The primary election for that position was held Tuesday.
Tuesday – Mom’s birthday. Broke 72-hour Starbucks fast, a little bit of shopping in the morning, another fish taco. Purchased three movies I’ve been meaning to get for a while (The Village, Phantom of the Opera and National Treasure… how’s that for variety?). Went to Pacific Beach for dinner at fun new place. The ocean looks very pretty. Lots of Mom’s favorite dessert – Baskin Robbins’ Chocolate Chip ice cream with fudge – for dessert.
Wednesday – washed both cars and did yard work, resulting in serious lobster back from the early morning sunshine. Here’s hoping it tans. Worked on Kelly’s shower invitations and finished addressing the envelopes. Saw boss on CSPAN (I finally broke down and watched CSPAN), but we lost the CAFTA vote. Visited David and Mike, two brothers and dear friends from high school, for three hours this evening to catch up and talk about printers (they’re both computer engineers now) and politics (duh!). The two went to Israel with their family last month and I received a very special present from Mike: a rock from the Mount of Olives that he picked up just for me! He said he thought of me and how much I’d like to be there and thought he’d bring back a piece of history for me. Quite special.
That’s all for now… but will definitely be enjoying the rest of my time in paradise!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like too much fun. tell me, why are we in dc again?

Anonymous said...

Yay for home!! Glad you're enjoying your stay and successfully surprised your mom *grin*

Leeann said...

Anonymous, who are you? Otherwise, how do I know why you're in DC? :-P

Derby said...

Aaron, not that you give a rip, but I'm going to side with Leeann on this one.

Derby said...

By the way, how was the voting worked out for this treaty? I thought treaties needed 2/3 of the Senate's approval alone, but this time the vote was 50% of each house.

Leeann said...

OH yes, good question, David. Funny thing, that. Of course there have been many debates about this, and unfortunately, I think the wrong conclusion came about, but CAFTA was ultimately classified as... legislation. Plain and simple. Sure, there's only a couple pages on actual trade and over a THOUSAND pages of "additional" provisions that bind the United States to certain new rules (not the least of which is our involvement in a "trade court" that will always consist of three "judges" - two from Central American countries and one from the United States - gee I wonder who wins EVERY TIME on that one) (oh yeah, and our dental standards are going to come down when the tribunal finds that the United States' standards are "too high" to be met by the other nations... man, it's sick that I know that...). Anyway I digress: the point is, not classified as a treaty, ergo, all it needs is a simple majority - which is all it got in the House, and barely.