Monday, July 11, 2005

A few moments more

I had to leave off part of yesterday in my blog, because I hadn’t lived it yet. But it’s worth telling – at least telling what I can. We had a wonderful service at church, actually discussing some of the things the girls and I had been talking about earlier in the day. It was cool for that to be reinforced, and just to sing. We had a great set of hymns, all about God’s love – “O the Deep, Deep Love of Jesus” being one. It was terrific. Post-church was interesting. After a bit of socializing at church, we wandered off to Starbucks and must have been sounding like the girls we are as we meandered through the townhouses in southeast, between church and our coffee place. As we passed a gentleman pruning his bushes – bright green and standing out against the bright red brick house with red shutters – he smiled a knowing smile and simply offered a word of advice.

“Let him know how you feel,” he said. “Give him a chance.”

We all giggled. If you ask me in five years, I might tell you why.

The dimming light cast shades of pastel pink and blue over the Capitol dome. The coming night air was perfect, San Diego in quality – that being, of course, the highest. We eventually returned to the car.

As we drove over the bridge, across the Potomac, the sky turned a hundred shades of purple. The Rosslyn skyline was framed by a colorful sky above and a reflective river of light below. It was perfect. The wind tossed my hair about, plucking it slowly out of the barrette that held it up and back. Whether my eyes were open or closed, the world seemed the same.

Maybe that is what rest is.

I had a good, long talk with my Mom before bed. It didn’t take me long to slip into sleep. I don’t remember many details, but I do have a distinct recollection of dancing in my dreams. I don’t know if it was with someone, or who that someone was if that’s indeed what I was doing, but I remember it felt like freedom. I wanted to stay.

But instead, I woke up refreshed, and three minutes before my alarm clock to boot. I curled up with the Word and really prayed for the first time in ages. It was wonderful. God blessed me with a wonderful weekend – and even a wonderful Monday. I could do this thing for a while…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fun memories already...maybe one day we can talk more fully of them. *small smile*

Vigilante Clowns of Justice said...

*puts ear to monitor to eavesdrop*

Leeann said...

Never thought I'd live to see the day Jeff was dropping eves ;)