Tuesday, July 05, 2005

See You Forever

Six years ago today – it’s hard to believe it was that long ago – I was at a camp in the Sierra Nevadas, nestled behind a hillside and in the midst of giant granite boulders, towering trees, the scent of pine and dust heavy on the hot summer air. I was there with eleven of my peers and a handful of adults, taking a month to figure out more of who I was, but most importantly, who God is. We talked a lot about Heaven at the Caleb Project. I am still excited about the fact that someday, we’ll all be together again forever, especially since we’ve lost touch with each other, for the most part. I know April is married; I hear Daniel and Ali are, too. (But not to each other, for the record!) I know where Jason and Erin are simply based on the fact that they predate Caleb in my life. Alicia is probably leading worship somewhere, but I’ve not heard from her in ages. And the rest… I have no idea. But somehow I know we’re all thinking about each other today.
Why? Because on this day six years ago, God called Home one of our counselors, one of His saints. He was a mountain biker and loved Hume Lake, but not nearly as much as he loved his fiancée, Jenny. And he was fond of the phrase “see you forever,” which we adopted as our Caleb group’s phrase after his death. So when I heard this Vertical Horizon song this week, it truly struck me, as I’d never really listened to the words before. It was as if it was written for the mourners of this tragedy. I thought I would post part of the lyrics for all my fellow Calebites, especially for Jenny, in memory of TJ, and above all, in celebration of God’s sovereignty in this world.
SYF.


Call me close once again,
Call me teacher, call me friend;
Just like the first time…
I don't know if you hear me there,
But it's dark, so no one cares;

But I will hear you forever, forever,
I will hear you forever, forever…


I wanted you to be everything to me,
Now I've got to learn to carry on
I know I cannot hide this emptiness inside
But nothing is the same since you've gone…

Send me letters from above
Send me strength, send me love;
Sing me songs that echo in my head and in my heart
That's where you are…

I don't know if you see me,
But I can tell you your face is clear


And I will see you forever, forever,
I will see you forever, forever…

2 comments:

Kelly Sauer said...

Wow, Leeann, I knew that impacted you, but you never told me why. Thanks for sharing. Catch up soon!

Anonymous said...

That song is about the "Harrowing of Hell."

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07143d.htm