Monday, June 06, 2005

Wedding Report #2: The du Mee Melee

I will definitely go into some detail of some of the cooler moments of the weekend, but I just had to get some post up, so I’m going to put up some general points and paint with a broad brush to give you an idea of what life was like for the last few days.

  • As I predicted (see post below), Sarah did come bounding in, telling me to get my laziness out of bed. It was 5:45 a.m. I was excited to get up, but not nearly as excited as I was when we made it to Starbucks at 6:15 a.m.
  • Independence Air isn’t big on on-time departures or arrivals, but that’s ok when your ride isn’t big on finding routes that are construction-free, either. Peter unfortunately found himself tangled in a web of deception and traffic somewhere between Tennessee and Kentucky, so we camped out at the Starbucks-Burger King-Pizza Hut plaza, buying coffee and French fries so they’d allow us to stay. I was very devious and told Peter to just show up there instead of meeting us at the curb – surprises are just so much more delightful. To say the least, there was much rejoicing.
  • Allis does NOT like humidity.
  • The only thing more surreal than a wedding rehearsal is the wedding itself. During the rehearsal you can play it off as a funny like, why are we playing around in the church? And then the next day, there are two hundred people there watching you do the same thing, except they’re dressed up and you’re dressed up, and all you can think is, why are we playing around in the church?
  • At this particular wedding, there was an incidence of what can be best described as attempted assault. However, the victim was not interested in pressing charges. Go figure. These weddings are getting violent.
  • There are few things in life better than seeing two people who love each other being together. There’s just something great about it, like when we used to go on trips and Mom and Dad would be holding hands across the armrest in the front. It just makes you feel more secure to know they’re nearby.
  • Christy is gone…
  • The Fendrichs are definitively the COOLEST family besides my own. Fireflies are still very fun and mosquitoes are still very obnoxious, but there’s still nothing like a night in the countryside in a cornfield. I really wouldn’t mind living out in the middle of nowhere, at least for a while. It’s peaceful. No constituents. Just fun folks.
  • Staying up late to talk to one of your best friends and lounging in the dark with a lot of pillows, giggling and whispering, is definitely one of the best things in the world. That’s one of the things that will stick with me forever on this trip: talking to Sarah till who-knows-when on Saturday night/Sunday morning. *grin*

I do not have the ability to post pictures from the wedding, sadly, but if you really want some I can do the email thing. They’re mostly just random ones of Starbucks stops along the way, the Fendrich family, etc., but there are good ones of the wedding too.

It was a good weekend. Really tired and a lot to think about… so many thoughts trying to taunt me… but I know God is good, and He is faithful, even when we don’t see it.

Hang in there, all. Behind a frowning Providence He hides a smiling face.

And congrats, Matthew and Christy.

5 comments:

Derby said...

Wish I were there.. can you send me the pictures?

Leeann said...

I will do what I can - I'm pretty busy in the evenings of this week but will try to email what I can as soon as I can! :)

Kelly Sauer said...

Awh, Treasure...

Anonymous said...

Hey. :) If you get this before the e-mail, you wanna come spend a night or two with me this weekend? We talk about Star Wars and watch LOTR...:-D I just will be here by meself this weekend.
-Sam

Anonymous said...

One might be tempted to wonder what constitutes "the coolest family"? Is is living by a cornfield, or in the middle of nowhere or having the opportunity to host incredibly dear friends that include three of my favorite people from the Washington DC area? Never mind they are the only people I know from the Washington DC area, that's not important. Most people from the east coast just fly over us, we wave at the planes every day - not much else to do here in nowheresville.
Seriously, I thank God for the opportunity to see you all again, the family loved it. Don't stay away so long next time.

Peace, love and joy in Christ.
The Fendrich family - by the guy whose suppose to be in control of it all.