Sarah made a funny comment on the way to church tonight. We were listening to one of the mix stations on the way to church, and Sarah noted that one of the songs was reminiscent of “last semester” – meaning a couple months ago. She paused and said, “Wow… I still measure in semesters.” I nodded. “What else is there to measure by? That’s what I’ve measured my life in for years.” And it’s true. The only other thing to measure by is campaigns… and we’ve not even seen a second Congressional cycle. This is one oddity with life after school. How do you measure it?
I do think we started a new season recently. Firefly season. It’s been way too long since I’ve seen them; even when I’ve gone inland, where the fireflies usually come first, I didn’t see them. But now they’re in our complex on these hot summer nights, out playing in the bushes and with the neighborhood kids and they’re utilizing the play set in the last reaches of twilight. They’re even in the laundry room. They tell me its summer, and so long as they are around, the days will be warm and sometimes humid, there will be slightly more leeway at work for early days and adventure. Like
Five hundred twenty five thousand moments so dear
Five hundred twenty five thousand six hundred minutes,
How do you measure, measure a year?
In sunsets,
In
In cups of coffee?
In inches, in miles
In laughter, in strife?
In five hundred twenty five thousand six hundred minutes,
How do you measure
A year in the life?
No comments:
Post a Comment