Saturday, November 17, 2007

Thankful

After dragging my laziness out of bed this morning, I managed to get downstairs and stake out prime sprawling space on the couch. When I booked my ticket for Thanksgiving, there was a chance that Congress could be in session still today; the House was not, which meant I had a day to decompress before getting on the plane. Sarah and Emily and Christy and I chatted the morning away, relishing the scent of coffee and baking French toast. We shared brunch and laughed. A lot. And I remembered how incredibly blessed I am with the best girlfriends anyone could possibly ask for.

It was a glorious autumn day in northern Virginia. I got to pal around with one of my best friends, whom I am able to see all to rarely these days. We went shopping and listened to a guy playing water glasses on the sidewalk. We talked about life – not careers, not politics – life. Healthcare policy, congressional negotiations, and tele-town halls only came up as the subject of passing jokes. I recalled how beautiful friendship is – and that I am not defined by D.C.

In about twelve hours, I will be home. Words can’t describe how thankful I am for that.

I’m asking you to do something incredibly cheesy, but if you are spending time reading my blog I’m assuming you’re looking for a diversion anyway. I challenge you to take 60 seconds to comment on this post by saying what you’re thankful for today. And have yourself a merry little Thanksgiving.

Some days, we forget to look around us
Some days, we can’t see the joy that surrounds us
So caught up inside ourselves
We take when we should give…

So for tonight we pray for
What we know can be
And every day, we hope for
What we still can't see
It’s up to us to be the change
And even though we all can still do more
There's so much to be thankful for

~ Josh Groban, “Thankful”

6 comments:

Christy said...

I'm thankful for my husband, my girlfriends, all the time I got to spend with you today(!), shopping, Chipotle, living closer to my D.C. friends, and Christmas break in Phoenix...coming in just 28 days!

em said...

Leeann's french toast! plus roommates who are very tolerant of talkative doubt.

Anonymous said...

Peppermint mochas. BBs that work overseas. Friends who I can call whenever. And family who still need me.

Kelly Sauer said...

cross-country phone calls, talkative babies, and friends who are still there even though we don't talk all the time... and blogs. We must be thankful for blogs! (By which we all must needs keep in touch. Or look for diversions... ;-)

Naomi said...

I am thankful that my car met a pole when collision coverage was still on my insurance.

:-P

Anonymous said...

It isn't cheesy; it's sweet. :) I'm thankful for autumn leaves, winter coats, my nephew, strong Biblical teaching, weddings, good books and movies, and...friends that show up on time.