I woke up the other morning thinking I was back at school. The brisk morning air pouring in through a cracked window carried the familiar call of migrating geese. I remember waking up so many mornings to the geese on the lake. Having spent so much (too much) time indoors lately, I had nearly forgotten that it was truly autumn. October usually ushers in my excitement for the holidays, but this fall has been full of long meetings with pinstripes and power suits. I’ve seen the inside of the Rotunda at
I missed not being home that night. I wanted to pass out candy and watch Arsenic and Old Lace (it takes place on Hallowe’en, you know), but instead I was eating roll after roll of Smarties in the Speaker’s Conference Room debating concepts like crowd out, presumptive eligibility, and Express Lane.
Yes, it’s been a weird last few weeks.
But sanity is slowly returning, or at least I have a compelling interest in regaining it. I realized a few days ago that this is my favorite time of year and I haven’t taken any time to enjoy it.
I started to last night. We went out into a cold night with almost freezing rain and ate soup at Panera. We did some shopping, and I started buying presents so I could make progress on my list. And most notably, Sarah opened her new Josh Groban Christmas CD and let us listen to it. And it was delicious.
And it’s continued today. We had a Thanksgiving meal for our international students, and there was much laughter around an overflowing table. I’m spending the afternoon lounging at Felicity and Chris’, enjoying the spot right in front of the glowing fireplace. Talking about everything and nothing and laughing about life. It smells like the season.
I’m finally starting to anticipate caramel-making and Christmas tree hunting. Christmas music on 97.1. Sugar and spice espresso cookies. All the parties, forgetting about politics. And spending time with the people I love.
That’s the best part.
No comments:
Post a Comment