Somehow it makes sense that it’s raining tonight. This morning. Whatever it is.
Raindrops are hitting the metallic gutter just outside the door every five seconds or so, as it always does when there is slow to moderate precipitation. The tree just outside the window is glittering, shiny with rain and lamplight. One roommate is lying on the couch talking to her boyfriend on the phone; the other is upstairs on a date with Napoleon and the year 1815. And I am alone with a computer that records all my thoughts and stores snapshots of my memory, yet does not know my history, has nothing to say in response.
Guess I’m remembering the other side of the holiday high I anticipated but very recently. There are always expectations and questions at these parties, these gatherings. Why don’t you bring someone? Don’t you think I would if I had someone to bring? Yes, of course D.C. is full of nice young men. Just none with any time for a girl with enough of a head on her shoulders to hold down “a career” and maintain her principles, too.
This town needs to make up its cotton-picking mind. One day they’re telling you you’re independent, you can do it alone, and the next they’re asking you where your backup is. Did I miss a memo?
I blame this rant on the fact that today’s sermon was on Ecclesiastes chapters one through three.
On the upside, my first batch of caramels turned out very well, and I get to sleep in and go shopping tomorrow.
Things will look better in the morning. They usually do.
3 comments:
Got your comment on my blog; if you just want a quick color fix, I can totally help in the next couple of days or so. If you want an overhaul and use of new blogger, I have one blog in front of yours. BUT, now that I have the template figured out (more or less), I should be able to work a bit faster. Give me a couple of weeks or so, and I'll try and get to it for ya. Or, email me, and I'll see what I can lay out for you!
There better be carmels for me when I come ;-)
Leeann,
Hey, it's that worthless son of a preacher man that took away your Bethy.
I wandered past your blog today.
It is definitely very different for us, but guys (myself included) can empathize. Or is it sympathize. I can never remember. Anyway.
The truth is,we're constantly told that we need to find a good girl (which I finally did) AND we're constantly told that we should go and "live life" and that excremental foolishness. Which are we supposed to do? (Grrrrr of frustration)
I finally had to come the point I think you are at. "alright, God knows what He is doing. I better just shut up and make (or in my case, eat) carmels". Although, in college, Double Whoppers from the "BK Lounge" were easier to come by.
Anyway, thanks for being such a friend to my wife (even after I stole her) the like of which I have often thought extinct.
God bless
Sam Walker
Post a Comment