Monday, August 13, 2007

Of radios and religion

A popular song caught my attention recently. The innocuously titled “Thanks For The Memories” includes the following lyrics repeated in the chorus throughout:

Say a prayer but let the good times roll
In case God doesn't show

Mentally, I had the typical raised-in-the-church reaction – “oh, kids these days.” This is hardly the only song about one night stands on the radio, but saying it like that seemed such an affront. Then I realized something – yes, there are many similar songs out there. But the unique characteristic of this song was honesty. A blatant confession: yes, there may be a God, but I’m willing to take my chances.

I know evangelism knows its challenges in every era, and it is never insurmountable with the Holy Spirit and the gospel. But what do you do with a generation that doesn’t see the logic in Pascal’s wager – those who may well believe there is a God, who may very well hold them accountable for their actions, but are willing to take the risk of rebellion? This is neither agnosticism or atheism – but apathy turned into a functional religion.

Perhaps it is the product of parenting that lacked structure, consequences. There is a reason the Bible calls parents to train up a child in the way they should go. It is not only a matter of learning how to get by in this world; proper parenting gives children a visual of God’s lovingkindness, that discipline and love are closely tied in such a relationship. A permissive parent may try to tell a child “no,” but when he does it anyway, there is no reaction other than a vague sense of disappointment.

A recent sermon reminded my church that God is indeed patient, but we should not mistake His patience for indifference or acceptance. Those who picture God as a supernatural parent-type may find it easy to believe He is indifferent toward them, might be there for advice and to bail you out, but He certainly doesn’t care enough to intervene. Another, less politically-correct way to say that is, “He doesn’t love me enough to discipline me.”

What a fundamental misunderstanding of God and His desires for us. We think He is a disciplinarian, someone who wants to impose a moral code on us to make us “good” because… well, we’re not sure why, but He sure doesn’t want us to have any fun. We know from Scripture that discipline is part of His plan because it makes us holy (more like Him) and gives us the ability to experience life to the hilt – the way He created it to be enjoyed. The One who formed this universe and mankind knows better than anyone how it all works, and following His guidance, as contrary as it is to our pride and the calls of this world, is the only way to experience “good times” when good is rightly understood.

At this point in my thought process, I realized something else: I needed this reminder as much as any popular musician. It’s not those people out there who are susceptible to pursue this lifestyle, to embrace apathy. Our fallen nature craves it. We are made in the image of God, and something in all of us recognizes it, though some have not yet confessed it. So to recognize God and yet embrace our own pride is perhaps the most natural thing in the world. And how often have I accused God in my own heart of withholding the best from me, and even gone so far as to say that I would be doing things my way today, thankyouverymuch?

No, none of us are immune from this apathy toward the Way. I am ashamed to confess it in my own heart. But it is also a reminder that apart from the gift of Faith, I would be no different than those who sing those lyrics without a second thought.

They are not beyond His grace. I know, because I’m not.

No comments: