Wednesday, November 23, 2005

We Gather Together

I haven’t had too much coherent to say of late, ergo I have not posted. However, the last twenty-four hours, I have been VERY excited about this simple fact (and I can actually say it before the fact this time, unlike my sneak attack in July):
I AM GOING HOME!
I would like to put up an eloquent post about how thankful I am for everything, a good writer knows when words will not suffice. I do thank God for saving me from my sins and being so patient with me and holding my hand even when I fight Him. I am also grateful for His provision of a wonderful family – my Mom and Dad, who have always loved me and never hesitated to support me, even when I did crazy things like going to an unaccredited college in the middle of a soybean field in Virginia, take off to go campaigning in places I’ve never been before, or move back to D.C. without a job or place to live. I cannot imagine my life being anywhere near as rich as it is without them. Of course there’s the extended fam too, who may razz me over the next few days about never bringing a guy back to meet them, but I know they love me. I am also blessed to live in an awesome townhouse in a great town with two of my best friends. Without them, I cannot imagine having survived the last year (transition back to D.C., Inaugural Committee, looking desperately for a job, not to mention the day-to-day angst of life). I also am blessed to still be in touch with friends from many, many moons ago (Cassidy, Megan, Christine, and others who know what a Farbulous Friday or a Mighty Q is), as well as a myriad of wonderful college friends. Of course I would be remiss to mention my coworkers, who I have had the blessing and privilege of spending the last eight months with. They have made my life on the Hill not only tolerable, but quite enjoyable, and I am glad to count them not just as coworkers but as friends. Added to this I have fellowship with a great church, food to eat every day, enough money to go home for the holidays, have had the honor of witnessing three marriages this year (with at least two to come early in 2006!), I could go on, but as I said, words are not enough.
If you’d like to talk to me for some reason over Thanksgiving, I have my cell... otherwise, may God richly bless your holiday with family, friends, laughter, and a deeper appreciation for the rich mercy and grace which God has showered on all of us.

We gather together to ask the Lord's blessing
He chastens and hastens His will to make known;
The wicked oppressing now cease from distressing
Sing praise to His Name, He forgets not His own.

Beside us to guide us, our God with us joining,
Ordaining, maintaining His kingdom divine;
So from the beginning the fight we were winning
Thou, Lord, wast at our side, all glory be Thine!

We all do extol Thee, Thou leader triumphant,
And pray that Thou still our Defender wilt be;
Let Thy congregation escape tribulation
Thy Name be ever praised, O Lord, make us free!

3 comments:

Ashley said...

And you're thankful for your dear friend Ashley. Who is more than merely one of the plethora of college friends ;-) O:-) If only she were more humble. . .

Leeann said...

Welcome back, Aaron - feel free to use my blog as a shameless plug for yours anytime ;)
Seriously, glad you're posting again -- it's interesting to hear what's really going on in FEMA and down in NO.

Anonymous said...

Hey, you talked about me! I miss you love!!!