Enough with the transcendentalist ruminations. It’s Election Day. Let’s get back to politics.
Last time I talked politics was the day of Scooter Libby’s indictment. I still don’t know why I care that he was indicted, but every liberal thinks it’s the biggest scandal since Nixon. After the fever-pitch of indictment day, the fading likelihood that any other official will be brought into this mess has quickly deflated the excitement of the liberal masses. The additional wet blanket to the anti-Bush parade was the nomination of Judge Alito. I was encouraged that President Bush bucked off the criticism of his judicial indiscretion and nominated another John Roberts with more bench experience. As the Washington Times editor mused last week, he gave the left exactly what it asked for. In my opinion, it’s also exactly what the right needs: a fight that is winnable.
At the very end of October, I remember reflecting to myself, in light of the recent political environment, we needed a November miracle. I think much of it hinges on the outcome of the Virginia elections today – not that I am judging the life and death of the Republican party on whether or not Kilgore wins. I know his chances are not great, but Virginia has always been a somewhat reliable test case for the national mood as notoriously urban-blue, rural-red and overall purple when it comes to inter-commonwealth elections. (After all, it was Mark Earley’s race four years ago that first integrated the 72 Hour Plan; he lost, but we know that the strategy did boost his numbers, and look at what happened in ’02 and ’04). There are several outcomes of this election that have the potential to be very beneficial. Others do not.
* Discouraged conservatives don’t show up to vote and the left does; Kilgore loses in a blowout. The RNC faces the reality that we have midterms next year and engages some of our dearly beloved (but off-kilter, especially in the fiscal responsibility realm) party members with serious altar-call experiences and completely abandon the RINOs.
* An extremely tight race results in a Kaine victory. This is perilous because the “we were so close” mentality is analogous to what happened in ’01 (and the following “on” years) and could jeopardize necessary restructuring of 72 Hour.
* An extremely tight race results in a Kilgore victory; potentially energizing for the party nationwide and dispels at least some of the fear (paralysis?) surrounding ’06. Contributors happier and more generous, grassroots is encouraged, general belief that Republican Doomsday may be further off than previously supposed.
For the sake of preserving a semblance of realism, I will refrain from the mention of a Kilgore blowout. I think a narrow Kilgore victory is not outside the realm of possibility; one way or the other, for better or worse, my only prediction of the day is that the margin will be surprising. But will it be the hinge of what will someday be looked upon as the November miracle? Time will tell.
In other news, I voted at a polling booth for the first time this morning. Touch-screen deal. I had to restrain myself from imitating that awesome forward from last year’s campaign season. “John… Kerry. John Kerry. JOHN F KERRY!! COME HERE… COME’RE… noooooooooooo…”
Ah, memories.
Go Michael Golden.
No comments:
Post a Comment