A brief history of Election Days in my recollection:
* 1992: I remember wearing a Perot shirt that was about five sizes too big for me. I think my Mom received it after volunteering for them. I also remember wearing the shirt at school and getting funny looks from people, which by this time I was already quite used to. Hence the start of not caring what people thought about me, and for that matter, the seed of political interest.
* 1994: Apparently, this year, something very important happened. Just less than a decade later, I would realize it was called the Republican revolution. I have no memory of this. However, it is interesting to note this is when my boss was initially elected to Congress. I was 11.
* 1996: My only memory: not liking Bill Clinton. (I was born under the Reagan Administration. What do you expect?)
* 2000: Since I was working for a newspaper at this point in my life, this was my first office Election Day experience. My boss and I were the only Republicans in the office, as it was filled with journalists. I remember sitting at my desk and pressing “refresh” on CNN’s election website roughly a thousand times. The day of the election, I remember my boss saying it would all come down to
* 2001: The RNC first launched the 72 Hour Task force for the gubernatorial bid of Mark Earley, who loses in spite of the fact that I waved signs for him. Somehow, through this experience, I fall in love with grassroots politics.
* 2002: While almost all my friends were either in
* 2003: PHC elects its first student body president from the state of
* 2004: After receiving the panicked “um… we might need
* 2005: My first experience in a polling booth. After a promising 62-46 lead when I first checked the returns, the Republican candidate once again loses the bid for governor, but the second and third highest offices in the land remain under Republican control. As a result of Kilgore’s failure to be elected, I owe a coworker $1.
Well, folks, it’s time for some serious soul-searching. Let’s figure out what we did wrong, what we did right, and how we can do better.
After all, it’s 364 days till Election Day.
8 comments:
First - I always like your perspective. *smile*
Second - My first election memory is of 1988. Both my sister and I were very excited about the elections. As we watched the poll results come in on our black and white 12 inch TV we made election hats out of whatever we could find in the house. I distinctly remember standing with Em, waving flags, and wearing our hats as we celebrated the "victory".
In the sparse good news column from yesterday, former Police Chief Jerry Sanders managed to best media darling (for some inexplicable reason) Donna Frye, thereby proving that (1) guys named Jerry can still win; (2) owning a surf shop, even in San Diego, does not make one inherently trustworthy; (3) my hometown may not be completely off the political deep end quite yet.
Hey that's great--I was born under the Reagan Admninistration as well. :-P As far as election stuff/memories goes, try hanging out with a Senator and his staff as they all scan their blackberries for the latest news. I may have to get one just so I can look cool, collected, and deeply uncertain as well. ;-) Get this, the Kilgore party was across the street from the Kaine party, which was less than a half-mile from the Elton John concert. Richmond was wild last night.
You forgot our experience with the Mychele Brickner campaign in Alexandria!! I'll never forget the pink signs (as opposed to red, white and blue), and the endless phone banking. Oh, and Claire. How can I forget Claire. :-P
I campaigned once. For a day. Over PHC politics. :-)
Oh, and I helped write the "facist" EC rules: "Signs should be in the spirit of Christian charity." :-b
Yay for CLAers.
my only really-involved political moment (outside of being a senator): holding signs with only my mom on the street corner in waterville, protesting a new tax for a sports center/waterpark. soccer moms in minivans booed. seniors and people in sports cars cheered.
Wow! Learning all these interesting things about my readers is so great! Christy, I can't believe I forgot Mychele's campaign - I had been thinking about it all day on Tuesday and completely forgot when it came to the right-up. That must have been 2003, right? When you were asked if you were sleeping with your husband before he was your husband? *ducks*
Aaron, I actually agree that it would be fun in a twisted way to be the minority again, mostly because my boss would probably make ranking member of the committee he's always wanted, and he is a specialist in making trouble! We'll see. My (early) speculation is we'll keep the House (barely), but who knows. In light of the budget debaucle today, this may be the beginning of the November breakdown - forget the November miracle. Things change fast in politics.
Em and Michaela - you are awesome, and I commend your patience with us less-literary more-spastic political types. I'm so glad we have sane people to balance the rest of us out.
you all worked for Mychele Brickner?! Wow, why the hell would you do that? 10 minutes in starbucks doing election day planning was enough to convince me that this woman needs to give up any thought of ever holding public office.
Post a Comment