Monday, December 15, 2008

Today

Went by quickly, which I enjoyed. We’re not exactly in the middle of appropriations season, and when it’s dull at work a day can seem like years. But a special work-related project, in addition to two post office trips in order to get all my Christmas packages out the door, kept things moving. I now find myself at the end of my last Monday at work in 2008.
Which is really crazy to be able to say.
Also crazy is the fact that I continue to be surprised by God’s goodness to me, no matter how much it happens. I’d like to attribute my fear of change to being young and inexperienced. But that would be complete bologna. Because God has changed the trajectory of my life, or a facet thereof, from time to time – and the outcome ends up being really, really good. I see and yet do not perceive. Not yet, at least.
In any event, I had a really great weekend spending lots of quality time with some of my favorite people in the whole of the world, from big parties to intimate brunches, surrounded by good food and laughter and Christmas music. I’ve had some very special Christmases here in DC, and this year’s celebration has been wonderful – admittedly, a little to my surprise. So much has been going on the last few months, I had somewhat lowered my expectations for the DC portion of the Christmas season. I didn’t want to be dismally disappointed when we couldn’t get everyone together at once or we didn’t get a tree or there were last minute cancellations because of insanity at work.
But guess what? It didn’t happen. We got to be together, all together, to laugh and enjoy life for what it is for each of us right now. What more can you ask for?
So I am going to go home, cut my last batch of caramels, revel in the fact that all my shopping and shipping is done, and look at my Christmas tree while listening to some holiday tunes. Four days of DC Christmas left… then San Diego Christmas starts.
It's a wonderful life.

1 comment:

Kelly Sauer said...

*sniff, sniff*