Monday, October 29, 2007

T'was two nights before Reformation Day...


… and all through the house, it smells like Worcestershire sauce.

Meet Adolphus and Chip. The frost was on the pumpkin last night, and we carved them tonight. Now the seeds are roasting in the oven and the house smells very good.

I haven’t carved a pumpkin since I was – I don’t know, 11 or 12 – and I was shocked to see that the patience I’ve developed as I’ve gotten older does pay off. When I was a little girl, I was something of a nightmare when it came to arts and crafts. Remember the adage “measure twice, cut once?” Yeah, switch “twice” and “once” and that was me. Suffice to say sewing, etc. was not my forte. But inspired by Emily, I actually planned before I started forming my little Adolphus, and he ended up turning out quite alright. I hope the neighborhood children are duly impressed.

2 comments:

Undeserving said...

Adorable! Great minds think alike!

Anonymous said...

hey, you, I keep wanting to see you or e-mail you or something, but everything is so crazy right now! I guess I wanted to say hey, and I hope I get a break soon to call or e-mail or something! How are ya anyway?
-kate