Friday, November 10, 2006

“The pendulum swings”

More thoughts from a tortured staffer in an empty office.
In a committee room, a hundred staffers have congregated to settle completely non politically-related matters. I am sitting near four senior staffers – I get the impression they are all chiefs of staff – and all from Republican offices. They are discussing election results.
One of them pushes back gently in the worn chair in which a thousand constituents, lobbyists and staffers have occupied. “The pendulum swings,” she says, “and someday it will swing back.” She smiles at me kindly and laughs. “You will be here for that, but I will not; I’ll be in Bermuda!”
She speaks not in the condescending “oh, you young whipper-snapper” sort of way, but in a tone that acknowledges that her time in politics is nearing an end while the sun is only rising for a new generation. These four were here for the 1994 Revolution. Someday, perhaps, I will be in their situation, reflecting on the Devolution of 2006 as I smile at a green-as-grass staffer who just experienced the exhilaration of her party winning the House and Senate.
Yes, dear, relish it, but know that your time in the majority is not forever, and when it is over the world will not end. There is always good work to be done. Just do the next right thing.

1 comment:

i,Sardonicus said...

yup, we're down here in Mac's district. Wish he would have won... It's amazing how the Dems can turn on Lieberman in CT, and yet at the same time support Marshall and Barrow down here. Probably if they had been running elsewhere they would have been labeled as "far right extremists."