Being the traditionalist I am, you knew I couldn’t not do a Thanksgiving-theme post.
However, I am taking a slight twist on the typical “I am thankful for…” form, per a sermon I heard on Sunday, I want to note a few of the blessings and evidences of grace I have been able to witness in others’ lives over the last year.
For starters, my empty-nester parents adopted a giant handful of a puppy just this side of hyperactive, whose quirks and energy have brought new laughter and fun to their lives and home. They celebrated their silver anniversary this October and both enjoy good health and stable jobs.
Allis was given and seized the amazing opportunity to live in
Sarah has been given many new opportunities and responsibilities at work, where her talents and tireless efforts have been appreciated, recognized, and rewarded. She has an amazing relationship with an amazing guy, and they can both be thankful that all calls within the Verizon network are free.
I have been floored by the grace and strength demonstrated by my friends (and they are many) who are losing their jobs as a result of the recent election. Their faith and confidence in the same One who lead them thus far remains unshaken, and they are an example to me.
Other friends (Kyle, Chris, Felicity, and Aaron to name a few) were provided with the jobs they needed, in many cases just in time.
Despite seemingly every obstacle and challenge in recent months, Naomi has been faithful to her God and to her family, and her example flat-out amazes me.
Many dear friends married or became affianced this year and now have a helpmeet, deo volente, for the remainder of life’s journey. Of the many weddings that took place, Felicity and Chris,’ Beth and Sam’s, and Heidi and Mike’s celebrations were particularly moving reminders how good God is in bringing two people together.
Other couple-friends have been blessed with the gift of a new life, both seen and unseen. And that’s just awesome.
Ashley has the opportunity to come back to the East Coast – and even better, to live with Sarah and I. How much better could it get? Well, she also graduated college and… um… scored a few free meals, which is pretty cool. And that’s all I can say about that without getting into trouble. That’s just preparing you for D.C., Ash. Happens all the time. Receptions, I mean.
Cassidy graduated from the
Megan was able to see some really cool places abroad, and is now reporting for her assignment full time.
Brianna submitted a novel to a publisher, demonstrating she is far more brave than the average writer.
...and now, because I can’t help it, a couple things I am very thankful for.
A Creator who puts up with and even loves me, despite my giving Him every reason not to.
My parents, two of my best friends, and Jessie.
The fact that there is, in fact, a first time for everything.
The best townhouse and roommates ever.
A wonderful boss, the coolest (dys)functional family of coworkers, and still having a job in D.C. despite my party affiliation.
The opportunity to travel to so many new places in 2006 (Portland, Oregon; New York, New York; Grand Junction, Colorado; Danielsville, Connecticut; Chesapeake, Maryland; and Chambersburg, Pennsylvania to name a few).
It's funny. A phrase came to me today as I looked out the window from my Chief of Staff’s office, thinking about life in the quiet of the early evening after everyone else left. It was a beautiful rouge sunset in D.C., and the clouds around the
Like a scene from a movie
I’ve never seen before
But I’m starting to think I like it
I am so blessed.
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. I’m grateful for you, too, and hope you and yours enjoy this special weekend!
1 comment:
Amen. Not only for what you listed as thankfuls for my own life, but also for all the others. We are indeed very blessed...I am glad you reminded me...
Post a Comment