<-- Classic.Current music: “Ever the Same,” Rob Thomas
Current mood: Tired
Current craving that’s about to be sated: Fajitas
Current major healthcare legislation about to be considered by E&C: Indian health, NIH reauth, Ryan White, and hopefully a little thing we like to call SGR – so the question is more what ISN’T on the table right now…
Man. I knew I couldn’t go long without talking about work.
That doesn’t make a lot of sense, though, because I have so much other than work to write about. As is widely known, that weekend was a wedding marathon. And yes, and marathon can consist of only two weddings – these are multi-hour events, you know, and quite emotionally taxing. But Brooks and Dana’s nuptials were beautiful, taking place under a cool fall sky at a country church nestled in the Blue Ridge. Their quiet, strong love for one another is evident. We had a delightful time at the reception at Lost Creek Winery, which makes incredible Rosé (the first red I’ve truly enjoyed) and Vidal Blanc. The dance lessons Sarah and I had taken from her brother in Pennsylvania the week before went mostly unused except on each other. (Of course, getting into the east coast swing style for that night completely threw off my groove for the lindy hop style of the next night… but I already digress.) One of the most fun things about this wedding was that it was Michaela and Brianna’s excuse to be in town. We had a fun time just laughing and talking on both Thursday and Friday nights. It’s wonderful to see how everyone has “normalized” in the sense of settling into who they are, no longer defining themselves as part of or as antithetical to __C. They just are, and it’s wonderful to have friends with whom you can pick up just where you left off. Few are so richly blessed with such as these.
Sarah caught the bouquet, and that made me watch Emily and Darcy with a special appreciation the rest of the night. Someday in the not too distant future I will be in their shoes, saying a bittersweet goodbye. The world will be changed. It’s a challenge to carpe diem... after all, we never know what a day may bring forth.
After the first English class of the new trimester, Allis and I came back home to tidy up the house, rest a spell, and start getting ready for Mike and Heidi’s wedding. I was truly pleased to see how many of this pair’s dreams came true in this wedding. I’m sure some thought there were elements of over sentimentality, but everything in the ceremony meant something to them and made it truly theirs. This was truly a celebration of the journey these two took up to this point, and it was encouraging to see an instance where the seeming impossible happens.
The reception (once Kate and I found it – that was a small adventure I failed to anticipate. Note to self: if I get married near September 11, check to see if there are going to be any remembrance walks that shut down major thoroughfares that weekend.) was equally fun. I ended up at a table with a hodge-podge of __Cers with whom I don’t keep in regular contact, so it was a blast to catch up. We sent Mike and Heidi off amid rows of sparklers.
I was exhausted by the time I got home, but I had to summon the energy to pack – for we were off the next morning to Maryland’s Eastern Shore. Yes, it’s nice to have someone in this household who works for corporate America. Government employees may get all the flack for spending, but I can tell you that no per diem rate could possibly cover the extravagance of the Hyatt Chesapeake Resort. It was the first and probably last time I will ever stay at a resort, which is probably for the best. I couldn’t really get used to that lifestyle, but it was sure nice to have for a day! Sarah and I spent the first part of the day soaking up the sun in the lounge chairs by the outdoor pool, observing the families and various sundry others around us. I slipped into the pool in the heat of the day and enjoyed the hot tub a little later on. My shoulders were very happy. After I got the chlorine out of my hair, we wandered around the gorgeous, extensive grounds. If there was any question as to whether I could slip gracefully into upper class life… well… consider that question answered in the negative. True to form, I managed to break a wine glass that had been left on a retaining wall by the beach and had an interesting run-in with a praying mantis on the pier. The good news of the excursion was that I didn’t fall into the jellyfish-infested waters.
Once Allis’ tasks were done, we had quite the treat of ordering room service for dinner – another opportunity never before seized and unlikely to be repeated in the near future. We watched a half dozen episodes of Law and Order while enjoying our ice cream dessert, which resulted in a very interesting dream that I was an assassin of some sort. It was very exciting.
The drive back in to D.C. on Monday morning was long and rainy. We have had lovely fall weather this week, and I noticed on our way to Chesapeake that some red leaves are peeking through the waning green. There may be change beyond the trees on the horizon yet… but only time will tell.
1 comment:
Now, Leeann, we're all going on a cruise when I get a job, one of those all-inclusive ones, so you'd best get used to living it up!
Post a Comment