Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Georgia

I know I’ve been ignoring my blogging too long when my mother is emailing me asking why it’s been so long since I posted… and while I still don’t really have time to write an original, coherent post, I had a document saved for just such a situation – a musical tribute to my second-adopted home state, which is probably only rivaled by my real home state in the “most musically inspiring” category. If you think your state has better music, prove it - the comment section exists for a reason. ;)


Melodies bring memories that linger in my heart
Make me think of Georgia, why did we ever part?
Some sweet day when blossoms fall and all the world's a song
I'll go back to Georgia ‘cause that's where I belong
Georgia, Georgia, the whole day through
Just an old sweet song keeps Georgia on my mind

Georgia, Georgia, a song of you
Comes as sweet and clear as moonlight through the pines
Other arms reach out to me, other eyes smile tenderly
Still in peaceful dreams I see the road leads back to you
Georgia, Georgia, no peace I find
Just an old sweet song keeps Georgia on my mind.....


If I’m not over you
By the time I get to Georgia
Then I guess I’ll be
Alabama bound
There was a time that I’d do
Anything for ya
But this time, baby,
I won’t turn around.....


The devil went down to Georgia
He was looking for a soul to steal
He was in a bind
'Cause he was way behind
And he was willin' to make a deal

Johnny you rosin up your bow
And play your fiddle hard
Cause hell's broke loose in Georgia
And the devil deals the cards
And if you win you get this shiny fiddle made of gold
But if you lose the devil gets your soul.....


L.A. proved too much for the man
So he's leavin' the life he's come to know
He said he's goin' back to find what's left of his world
The world he left behind not so long ago

He's leavin' on that midnight train to Georgia
Said he's goin' back to find the simpler place and time
I'll be with him on that midnight train to Georgia
I'd rather live in his world than live without him in mine.....

8 comments:

Ashley said...

and the last song incorporates both states!

California still wins though

Ashley said...

Aaron,

Ocean front property in Arizona? Are there any other's or does your state score a total of two?


Oh wait. . . "standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

but I've been to winslow. .. it doesn't deserve a song :-p

Islandgirl said...

Start spreadin' the news, I'm leavin' today
I want to be a part of it
New York, New York
These vagabond shoes, are longing to stray
Right through the very heart of it
New York, New York

I want to wake up, in a city that never sleeps
And find I'm king of the hill
Top of the heap

These little town blues, are melting away
I'll make a brand new start of it
In old New York
If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere
It's up to you, New York..New York
~ NY, NY

Some folks like to get away
Take a holiday from the neighborhood
Hop a flight to Miami Beach or to Hollywood
But I'm takin' a Greyhound
On the Hudson River line
I'm in a New York state of mind
Seen all those movie stars
And their fancy cars and their limousines
Been high in the Rockies, under the evergreens
But I know what I'm needin'
And I don't wanna waste more time
I'm in a New York state of mind
It was so easy livin' day by day
Out of touch with the rhythm and blues
But now I need a little give and take
The New York Times and the Daily News
Comes down to reality
And it's fine with me cause I've let it slide
I don't care if it's Chinatown or up on Riverside
I don't have any reasons
I've left them all behind
I'm in a New York state of mind
I don't have any reasons
Cause left them all behind
I'm in a New York, I'm in a New York state of mind
~ NY State of Mind

I'll send more when I have more time =)

Leeann said...

Ash - take it easy, already... :-P

Leeann said...

Aaron – thank you for getting “Arizona” stuck in my head.
Kerri – excellent selections! I always loved “New York State of Mind” in my high school smooth jazz listening days…

Anonymous said...

How could you forget this song about dear Pennsylvania...

Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania,
Mighty is your name,
Steeped in glory and tradition,
Object of acclaim,
Where brave men fought the foe of freedom,
Tyranny decried,
'Til the bell of independence filled the countryside.

Chorus
Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania,
May your future be filled with honor everlasting as your history.

Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania,
Blessed by God's own hand,
Birthplace of a mighty nation,
Keystone of the land.
Where first our country's flag unfolded,
Freedom to proclaim,
May the voices of tomorrow glorify your name.

Chorus
Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania,
May your future be filled with honor everlasting as your history.

Anonymous said...

Well, there are no songs about my home-state but I think that Georgia should mention that they have crazy drivers (at least the ones transplanted to DC!)

Anonymous said...

one word "everclear"