Friday, December 18, 2009

What then can I give Him?

In the bleak midwinter, icy wind made moan,
Earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone;
Snow on snow had fallen, snow on snow on snow,
In the bleak midwinter, long, long ago…

Angels and archangels, they have gathered there
Cherubim and seraphim rising in the air;
And His mother, Mary, in her maiden bliss,
Worshipped the beloved with a mother’s kiss

Heaven cannot hold Him, nor can earth sustain
Heaven and earth shall flee away when He comes to reign…

What then can I give Him, empty as I am?
If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
If I were a wise man, I would do my part;
What then can I give Him? I must give my heart…

~ In the Bleak Midwinter, originally by Christina Rossetti, as sung by James Taylor

No comments: